Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2005, 07:30 PM

Default Re: Burrito cart tipping dilemma

He does appear to have upgraded from a Honda to an Escalade recently.
Old 11-15-2005, 07:31 PM

True enough. I will probably go with never, but I'll just worry about it less.
Old 11-15-2005, 08:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So are you opposed to tipping in general? Do you have the same attitude towards waiters? "Bring me my food and charge me for it. End of transaction." Your barber? "Cut my hair and charge me for it..." etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, this analogy is flawed.

Waiters, hairdressers, etc... are generally employees, not the owners of their respective businesses. You're tipping them for their service; not randomly adding dollars to the base cost of the service. They also usually don't make a lot and count on tips to survive.

If the burrito guy delivered, that would be another story and would obviously require tipping.

[/ QUOTE ]

Many hairdressers, for example, rent their space. This means they own their own business. Do you ask the hairdresser if they are an employee or if they rent the space before deciding to tip? I imagine the burrito cart guy pays rent to have his cart there. Therefore, whether somebody owns the business or not, logically, should not be a factor in your tipping policy.

If you like the service, product, etc. give a tip; if not, don't.

Old 11-15-2005, 08:47 PM

Tipping for counter service is insane. [censored] Starbucks started all this [censored].

You don't tip at McDonald's do you? Anywhere they bring the food to you at a counter or window, you don't have to tip. I never, ever, ever tip for counter service, and I am a very genrous tipper to waiters, cab drivers, and poker dealers.

(The only exception I make is Katz's Deli, where the guy will throw another 1/4 pound of Pastrami on your sandwich if you give him a couple of bucks.)
Old 11-15-2005, 09:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Tipping for counter service is insane. [censored] Starbucks started all this [censored].

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, we did.

I love it.

Can you believe we've come to expect tips for counter service? Can you believe we get pissed at people who make large orders and don't tip?

However, I never think twice about tipping at McDonalds, even when I order $20 in food for me and my friends. How hypocritical of me.

Like SC said earlier, certain people will spend their $4 and pay with a $5 and leave the $1 in the tip jar. I have regulars who will leave $2.39 or some crap. I have regulars who come in 3x daily and leave $1 each time. Am I complaining? Hell no. The tip jars on the counter expect you to tip before you have any idea what kind of service you're going to receive! Imagine that.

That being said, I tip for counter service at places that have tip jars. But, I do it more because I want people to do it for me.

Whatever. Just keep on leaving your $1.40 in my tip jar at Starbucks [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]