Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2005, 11:01 AM

Default An interesting JJ hand...g00t?

PLEASE DON'T PEEK TILL YOU'VE GRUNCHED! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Paradise Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO 3-bets</font>, SB calls, Hero calls.

Weird. I'm thinking...OK, he forgot to raise with AK or just fell in love with AQ. vpip is around 40 and I've seen him make some strange plays. I'm putting him on AK-10, a low pp, or suited broadways.

Flop: (9 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, SB calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO calls, SB calls.

I think I'm right here. If he has what I think he has, I am trying to protect my hand and maybe get overcards to fold.

Yay, or nay?

Turn: (7.50 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls, SB calls.

River: (10.50 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, CO checks.

Final Pot: 10.50 BB
<font color="#FFFFFF">
Results in white below:
Hero has Js Jc (two pair, jacks and sixes).
CO has Ac Ah (two pair, aces and sixes).
SB has 2h 2d (two pair, sixes and twos).
Outcome: CO wins 10.50 BB. </font>
Old 05-03-2005, 11:04 AM

Default Re: An interesting JJ hand...g00t?

Well, I'm a results whore so I did look, but I still like capping preflop vs. an open-limp-reraising CO. Although I can't say I have much experience with that move, it just seems donkish.
Old 05-03-2005, 11:07 AM

I'm betting the flop after SB checks, wanting CO to raise me and make it 2 back to the SB, hopefully getting it HU.
Turn and river I'd play the same.
Old 05-03-2005, 11:11 AM

I'd cap preflop. I have very little respect for limp-3 bettors unless proven otherwise. After that, goto war on the flop when you lead out. I think you have to value bet this river.
Old 05-03-2005, 11:12 AM

1. CO picked the wrong time to get out of line. Cap preflop.

2. Bet the flop.

Note that calling the 3-bet + check-raising the flop gets the same amount of money in the pot as capping/betting, but it runs the unnecessary risk of getting the flop checked behind if CO is on overcards. You are probably ahead PF, so get your money in there while you can.

3. Bet the river.

Edit: Okay I looked at the results. CO played every street poorly and he won the minimum.
Old 05-03-2005, 11:14 AM

Based on the range of hands you are putting CO on, there is no real reason not to cap this preflop. Furthermore, you seem to have the right idea with the checkraise on the flop in terms of its effect on CO, but you can't forget about SB, who I don't think we want coming along for the turn. In other words, your thinking is good heads up, but not so good three way.
Old 05-03-2005, 11:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you have to value bet this river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wouldn't this board be too coordinated for a value bet? I was a little worried about SB calling along with a 10 or a 5.
Old 05-03-2005, 11:15 AM

Haven't seen any comments yet..

preflop: I agree this is an odd play by the villian here. Usually in my experience means he was afraid he wouldn't make any money on his "premium" holding, but different players have different measures of premium, so I cap.

Flop: Perfect check/raise. I disagree with your reasoning however. No one is folding for one more bet, you are raising because you very possibly have the best hand and are trapping the field for another bet.

Turn: Good.

River: I think I'm taking my chances with a bet here. True you are behind a T/5 and some pocket pairs, but I think you'd be called often enough here by AK/AQ to "keep you honest" that a value bet here would be worth it.
Old 05-03-2005, 11:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think you have to value bet this river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wouldn't this board be too coordinated for a value bet? I was a little worried about SB calling along with a 10 or a 5.

[/ QUOTE ]

Anybody limp-reraising or hanging around aimlessly with just a two-gap gutshot is a moron who should be automatically buddy-listed if he shows you the rivered straight. Opponents this bad are extremely rare, even at this level. Nobody has a T or a 5.
Old 05-03-2005, 11:17 AM

That's an odd preflop play, but I'd cap it.

I bet the flop. How is checking protecting your hand? You can't get SB to face two bets here unless you bet and CO raises. You offered SB 10 to 1 by checking, then 15 to 1 after your raise. Or am I missing something?

I play turn and river the same.

&lt;/GRUNCHING&gt;