Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 12-31-2005, 06:12 AM

Default Raising with KK, too much???

The first hand of a 1 table tournament (9 player)

from middle position I raise 5 times the BB with pocket KK, everyone had folded to me and after my raise everyone folded, all I did was "steal the blinds".

Normally I raise 3 to 4 times the BB when I'm first to the pot, but I wanted to push it the first hand of a tournament, because sometimes you get crazies that are willing to go all in with very modest hands, thinking it's their best chance to win.

I was hoping to get reraised but it didn't workout. Bad strategy or would you employ it on occasion? My other thought is, possibly everyone would of folded to a raise 3 times the BB anyways, what do you think?
Old 12-31-2005, 07:05 AM

Default Re: Raising with KK, too much???

Don't worry about it, just gauge the table as well as you can, that early it's hard to tell anything about your villains. I make one standard raise with monsters (4bb), unless there is a specific read, and throw that same raise for other hands on occasion. This helps to conceal the nature of my holding. But I play cash games exclusively.
Your bet was straight, you just didn't get any costumers this time.

cambraceres
Old 12-31-2005, 07:30 AM

You should post this in the 1 table tourney forum.

Raising from MP to 5x is fine. In lower level tourneys, you will get action if someone has any kind of a hand.

It sucks when they all fold, but it happens.
Old 12-31-2005, 09:44 AM

This is good strategy, people are itching to go all-in on the first hand. No one had a hand, oh well.