Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2005, 05:17 PM

Default Re: TV poker commentating is AWFUL.

[ QUOTE ]

If you want good commentary, watch the Full Tilt show.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where can I watch such Full Tilt show?
Old 10-13-2005, 05:23 PM

Sexton makes a lot of results oriented remarks. My favorite being the hand between Jim Meehan and Eli Elezra at the Legends of Poker (season 3). Meehan raised with JJ, Elezra reraised with AK, Meehan went all in and Elezra called. Meanwhile, we the TV audience have seen other players fold two aces and a king, so we know Meehan's a pretty big favorite here-- and Sexton says so. Flop comes three low cards. Turn is the case ace and Meehan is knocked out. Sexton immediately starts talking about how Meehan should have pulled a stop and go so that he could get Elezra to fold if the flop came three low cards.

I've learned to deal with the WSOP commentary by not considering it "commentary" per se. It is more along the lines of a poignant, Rain Man-esque drama with Norman Chad in the Dustin Hoffman role. Instead of card-counting and "definitely Wapner", though, it's ex-wife jokes and "Josh Arieh is a dick". Lon McEachern fills in admirably in the Tom Cruise part, exasperated with his charge and his behavior, but doing his best to keep him in line, and evidencing that he does love and care about him, after all.
Old 10-13-2005, 05:56 PM

I actually like Mike Sexton and VVP. I've noticed though lately that when someone has pocket queens, Vince doesn't call them "West Hollywood" like he used to. I loved that one.

As far as ESPN, the only thing that bothers me is after the turn on an all-in. I can almost predict what card will come based on Lon or Norman Chad's commentary. If they say, "He needs a four, and a four only to win this hand," a four will usually appear. If a guy is not going to hit his longshot to win, they will usually say, "Joe is in trouble here."
I don't know if Lon and Norman are actually there watching the table in live play, but to me, the commentary seems to reflect a knowledge of the results. And yes, I know they edit later on and already know the winner.
Old 10-13-2005, 06:17 PM

Yes, the more they stress how crazy/impossible it is for a guy to win by catching a particular card, that's the card that's coming.

Unfortunately this ist he by-produce of knowing the results of the hand before you commintate it (I'm assuming they do, based on the fact it's so prerecorded and edited).

They also like to show bad beats and suck outs. Someone with AA gets a JTs all in and the AA wins, it's expected and boring and thus does not make good TV.

If you watched every AA hand you saw on ESPN broadcasts this year they probably have like a 50% win rate.
Old 10-13-2005, 07:22 PM

Sexton does a good job. You guys are way too picky.

You are NEVER, ever going to have Costas and Al Michaels.

Holla.
Old 10-13-2005, 07:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

On the football forum I sometimes read during MNF, the posters hate Al Michaels and John Madden.
Old 10-13-2005, 08:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
anyone besides me find the commentating at both ESPN and WPT just AWFUL?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Specifically, the posters who have started the THREE TRILLION OTHER THREADS about this feel the same way.
Old 10-13-2005, 08:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

On the football forum I sometimes read during MNF, the posters hate Al Michaels and John Madden.

[/ QUOTE ]

Alright. Fair enough [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

You are never, EVER going to have Costas, Joe Buck and Gary Thorne.
Old 10-13-2005, 08:56 PM

Norman Chad on ESPN, usually about as funny as a horrible comic hit it spot on with his commentary on David Williams the other night during the WSOP Main Event coverage.

"There's David's mother watching over every hand...Not good for David's street cred. in the poker world..."

As bad as Chad is, that line is so choice...
Old 10-13-2005, 09:13 PM

I find it way worse on the WSOP than I do on the WPT. I feel like I know Norman Chad's ex-wives better than I know myself. WPT however I enjoy because Mike Sexton actually knows what hes talking about. The only thing I find annoying about the Sexton is his constant reminder of how they cant see eachothers cards.