Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8

Old 12-28-2005, 01:42 AM

Default A23xs, how does this look?

Absolute $0.50/$1 LO8

Dealt to Hero [A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]]
UTG - Calls $.50
UTG+1 - Folds
MP1 - Folds
Hero - Calls $0.50
MP3 - Calls $0.50
CO - CO Calls $0.50
Button - Folds
SB - Calls $0.25
BB - Checks

Flop: good hand, I call to go for overcalls. I'm not one really to raise many hands preflop, if any at all. When I do, I mix it up sometimes raising with a good A3 hand, or a good highcard hand (HHHHds)

*** FLOP *** [10[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]]
SB - Checks
BB - Bets $0.50
UTG - Folds
Hero - Raises $1 to $1
MP3 - Calls $1
CO - Calls $1
SB - Folds
BB - Calls $0.50

I flop the nut low draw, so I raise to try to drive out those drawing for the flush/straight.

*** TURN *** [10[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]] [Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]]
BB - Checks
Hero - Bets $1
MP3 - Calls $1
CO - Raises $2 to $2
BB - Calls $2
Hero - Calls $1
MP3 - Calls $1

I don't think this is a really good bet here. I think because I don't have any real high draws at this point that I should probably just check/call. Thoughts here?

*** RIVER *** [10[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]] [6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]]
BB - Checks
Hero - Bets $1
MP3 - Folds
CO - Raises $2 to $2
BB - All-In $1.20
Hero - Calls $1

I make my low, and so I bet/call since the BB is already all-in. Overall, I think I played my hand pretty well, any comments/suggestions?
Old 12-28-2005, 03:13 AM

Default Re: A23xs, how does this look?

I would play all the streets the same way.
Old 12-28-2005, 04:48 AM

PF is standard.

On the flop I'm not sure I like the raise. You have basically no high prospects, so even if you get some straight or flush draws to fold you're still far from having the high side locked up. If you had something like two pair or even top pair yourself, then I would like a raise much more.

Also, since you only have a nut low draw, you want to keep the people drawing at A3, 23 and A4 lows in the pot. A raise will just drive them out.

On the turn again you have no high prospects, so I check/call.

The river I would probably bet. CO, who raised the turn, isn't playing like he's been drawing at a low, and since the low just hit he may pass on his opportunity to bet. A check/call may just end in it being checked through, which isn't good because you can probably still pick one or two extra bets from worse lows then yours.
Old 12-28-2005, 08:25 AM

I'm pretty much with kitaristi0.

PFR is good.

I think the raise on the flop is just plain nasty. You have nothing for high. This move will only serve to drive out the very people you want to stick around. Call the bet.

You also don't raise the flop because you can see a worthless card on the turn (perhaps a queen of spades?). Don't bet the turn. You have nothing and are drawing for half the pot. If you get raised (like you did), it's a ugly situation. You're really lucky you had as many people as you did still tagging along on this one, although that might mean you're getting quartered even if you do hit for your low.

Betting the river is a good move, but there probably can be a case made for just check/calling with all the people still around.
Old 12-28-2005, 09:47 AM

Smooth calling preflop is fine.

Raising on the flop is bad. You will drive out the weaker lows that you want calling. You do not care about charging high draws as you do not have a hand that will win high if they fold.

Betting the turn with nothing is a poor play. It is unlikely that you will lose anyone since they called your flop raise. You are just charging yourself more to draw for low.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too. If (or when) you jump up to a higher level, this is a raising hand pre-flop.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too. If (or when) you jump up to a higher level, this is a raising hand pre-flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am going to disagree with this, for this hand. OP had only one caller and two folds when it's his time to act. I might fear, in general, that a raise would drive everyone out and leave me with just the one other caller (I know that this might not be a reasonable fear at the OP's level). This hand excels multi-way. It includes a nearly uncounterfeitable low and a nut flush draw. I think that in this instance, if I have a reasonable fear that a raise might drive most everyone else out, that I would call pre-flop.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:06 PM

Niss's comments are well put. For some reason I was confused, I am thinking mid-position for Hero in the lower limit, but then I jump to late position in my mind when I put hero at the higher limits. If this only happened when blogging I would have more money...lol

Thank you, Niss.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Niss's comments are well put. For some reason I was confused, I am thinking mid-position for Hero in the lower limit, but then I jump to late position in my mind when I put hero at the higher limits. If this only happened when blogging I would have more money...lol

Thank you, Niss.

[/ QUOTE ]

I here 'til Thursday. Try the veal.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Thank you, Niss.

[/ QUOTE ]

I here 'til Thursday. Try the veal.

[/ QUOTE ]

should they tip the waitresses too?

nice post
-g