Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2005, 04:31 PM

Default another AK vs tight player

Villian has been at table for 42 hands. He's seen 4 flops, and never raised.

PokerStars 0.05/0.10 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, CO folds.

Had to 3-bet with big slick.

Flop: (9 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, Hero calls.

Ok, top pair, TK. Tighty doesn't just call me, he raises me. I didn't want to call a cap, so I only called him. Thoughts? At this point really the only realistic hand that beats me is KK. However, with how tight he is, and the fact that he didn't re-raise me on the flop makes me think it's either a split right now or he's got KK. I have the nut diamond card so I don't think he's being this aggressive on a flush draw (but because of his low VPIP, i really don't know how aggressive he is post flop and I am just extrapolating that from his pre-flop numbers)

Turn: (6.50 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, Hero calls.

Well the 5 doesn't change things. Hands that beat me previously still beat me, and I definitely don't think villian has A-5 or anything else including a 5.

River: (10.50 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Went with check-call. Got raised on both flop and turn, and went with the "safe" option here.

Final Pot: 12.50 BB

What does villain have? Should I be raising/betting on the turn and river or is this line good against a player i don't have much info on (though he's had plenty of hands seeing me mess around aggressively in pots)?
Old 08-05-2005, 04:36 PM

Default Re: another AK vs tight player

If he's so tight, just call down after the flop raise. At best, you're chopping. Maybe you'll get shown QQ here.
Old 08-05-2005, 04:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Villian has been at table for 42 hands. He's seen 4 flops, and never raised.

[/ QUOTE ]

nice hand.
I'd guess AK-AJ, maybe KQ, but I doubt it.
Old 08-05-2005, 04:43 PM

yeah he actually did show down KQ, which surprised me. I guess he got antsy after waiting so long for playable hands?

i wasn't sure if calling this down was such a great idea in retrospect.
Old 08-05-2005, 04:50 PM

Pre-flop: If he had KK don't you think he would have capped pre-flop? Any hand that has you beat (AA, KK) would have likely been capped unless he's a total wuss. I don't think 42 hands is enough to really get a good read on what he raises with.

Flop: I'd 3-bet. You have TPTK and you're likely good here. Once again I doubt he has AA or KK and if he's raising for a free card, then the 3-bet spoils that plan. The hand range he has here just screams 3-bet. If he caps, then I'd probably call down. If he calls, lead the turn. I'm not too good on putting people on specific hand ranges yet, but I know that AA or KK make up a small percentage of hands he could have up to this point. So you've got edge, 3-bet.

Turn: Ok now he's showing some real strength, I just call down from here.
Old 08-05-2005, 04:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If he's so tight, just call down after the flop raise. At best, you're chopping. Maybe you'll get shown QQ here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think 42 hands is enough to say he's "so" tight. He could be getting cold cards.

At best he's chopping? Huh? I'd play KQ exactly the same way he did, maybe even the turn raise.
Old 08-05-2005, 04:54 PM

What does this mean:

However, with how tight he is, and the fact that he didn't re-raise me on the flop

He could only raise (not re-raise) on the flop since you bet into him. I would consider this a sign of strenght.

Anyway against a tighty I like your line. Against looser players I'd lead the river and call one raise.
Old 08-05-2005, 04:56 PM

I meant re-raise me preflop. I figured because he was willing to 3-bet but NOT cap preflop, for however tight I thought he was, I thought AA was OUT but KK was still possible.
Old 08-05-2005, 04:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I meant re-raise me preflop. I figured because he was willing to 3-bet but NOT cap preflop, for however tight I thought he was, I thought AA was OUT but KK was still possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok but you realise there's only 1 more combination of KK left in the deck right? If he was to ONLY play KQ this way as well, I'd still 3-bet the flop because there's 8 combos of KQ left. Not to mention whatever else he'd play this way.
Old 08-05-2005, 05:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You should not assume this. Many players will not cap AA for deception purposes.