Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2005, 06:14 AM

Default Poker below the southern cross- Week 1

So here comes the second part after the introduction.

I will write the following parts every Monday evening now (Thaitime).

Discipline !

If somebody with average intelligence and average mathemathical understanding would ask me if its possible to earn constantly money with poker I would answer him: Definately if you have the discipline!
In my opinion discipline is the key to play sucessful poker. This includes steaming control, not to play besides the comfort zone (playing over bankroll and/or ability level) and not to play if your state of health or mind is not 100% ok.

Everybody knows it but does everybody stick to these rules?

I have to admit that discipline is my biggest leak and last week i would rate my discipline on a scale from 1 to 10 with 1.

Pokerstars invited me to play at their WSOP-qualifier because I was registered but never played at Pokerstars.
I had to earn 100 Frequent Player Points to join the tournament. So I started playing at the 1$ table (good discipline). After a while I was bored to play with these amazingly weak-tight slowplayers at the 1$-table and I looked around. Because I play the 1 and 2$ NL-table I looked at the NL-section and discovered that they offer a
10$ NL-table. I watched for a couple of minutes and the tabel was extremly loose-aggressive.
I sat down (dont ask me why!) and played at the 10$ table with a entire bankroll of only 2000$!! I started with only 600$ (Hint: A player who sits down at a NL-table with less than the maximum is usually a player without experience at this level who only wants to take a shot). I felt very uncomfortable and played extremely tight and was waiting for a very strong hand. I limped in a couple of times but the other player smelt that I played extremely weak-tight and because I never hit the flop perfectly I folded mostly after the flop. Weak-tight thinking at its best! I played may be 6 or 7 orbits and these orbits cost me 250$ because I never saw a showdown. Easy to lose the whole bankroll so I got lucky.

The next big mistake followed after this adventure at the 1k NL-table. I wanted to win my losses back and sat down at 15/30 ringgame. I wanted to stay only 2 or 3 orbits but I stayed 10 orbits or so and lost another 250$.

So I burned 25% of my bankroll in only 2 hours!

I got lucky with at a One-table tounament so the total loss at this day is 400$.

I also play after a couple of beers or if I am tired. Avoid this! This is -EV !

I think my steaming control is ok but far away from 100%. So I play more loose after a heavy loss a bad beat or whatever. Most of the time after a heavy loss at the
NL-table I leave the table immediatly. This is of course
-EV because the other player put you on tilt and pay you of if you have a strong hand. Moreover you can see the next hands till the blinds for free so its better to stay if you have the discipline.

I am pretty sure that my lack of discipline cost me every day between 50 and 100$. So with 20 working day every month between 1000$ and 2000$! Just wasted because of my weak discipline!

To never let this happen again I compiled a list with some rules:

- Maximum NL-table is 2$. I know I should play at a 1$ table because I have only 10 buyins but I play only one table and this limit is definitely inside my comfort zone. With only one 1$ table I cannot earn my expected earnings of 100$ a day. Multitabling is also not possible at the moment because of my monitor.
The focus on my play is NL.

- Maximum Ringgame is 3/6$. I play this only occasionally.

- Maximum SNG (One-table-tournament) is 30$ + fee.

- I avoid to play HU and shorthanded because I play far worse here than NL or Tournaments.

- I play my beloved Multitabletournaments only if I earned over 700$ a week and not more than 3. I decided to do this after I played a MTT with a buyin of 22$. After 2 hours I finished at place 14th of 122 players and "won" 25$. So 1,5$ an hour! These big tournaments are to timeconsuming and the variance is too high.

- Every Tuesday is my day off. Not only from poker but also from my computer. I spent to much time in front of the monitor so I try to pass the day without the computer.

- I write every Monday evening my new report to share my mistakes with the 2plus2 community and I am open for remarks of any kind.

My expected earnings are 100$ a day and I try to work 6 days a week. Because of sickness/holidays and so on I expect to work 250 days until June 2006.

May the pokergod be with you!

Regards
slimbob

Earnings after 7 workdays: 321$
Expected earnings after 7 workdays: 700$

Extrapolated earnings after 250 workdays: 11464$
Old 06-12-2005, 11:35 AM

Default Re: Poker below the southern cross- Week 1

Comeon dude we went through this with your last post.

You shouldn't be playing any nl any HIGHER THAN .5/1NL. You do not have the roll for it and I can not see you being successful longterm unless you put a handle on your shot taking.