Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2002, 08:20 PM

Default Re: Discipline vs. Skill

Not necessarily. There are those who have the discipline but not the right skills to know and take advantage of even small edges here and there that occur during a game. They will consistently win a little bit more than they lose but they probably will never win large sums nor will they ever play at the highest levels of the game.
Old 05-02-2002, 09:44 PM

Default Re: Discipline vs. Skill

well sure. and that's why we work on both of those parts of our game. i was speaking of the more 'ideal' situation.
Old 05-03-2002, 02:49 AM

Default Re: I thought HFAP was the bible?

An unbeliever once asked Hillel if he could recite HOLDEM POKER FOR ADVANCED PLAYERS while standing on one foot. He replied, "Play tight, don't cold-call raises, and don't go on tilt. The rest is commentary."
Old 05-03-2002, 12:16 PM

Not all the books in either bible agree with each other. It seems to be the nature of theology.

Regards, Lee
Old 05-03-2002, 02:09 PM

yeah they do. you just have to interpret them correctly.
Old 05-03-2002, 09:18 PM

Anything is related to anything if you interpret it "correctly"
Old 05-04-2002, 01:12 AM

while you can manipulate data in the way you describe, no sleight of hand is needed here.
Old 05-09-2002, 03:25 PM

Default Great musing

Displine is what parts the waters. Skill is knowing you should run through, and being able to get to the other end.

Displine is doing what you feel is correct. Whether it's starting cards, a fancy play, laying down, etc. It lets you play the best game you know how.

Making a mistake is not always linked to discipline. There's no way to know what to do in every situation. A newbie only knows a subset of the right things that a pro will know. Neither will know what to do in every situation, allowing for the possibilty that a newbie will beat a pro. Following through with your beliefs is discipline -- even if it's wrong. When you see it is incorrect, you need to change your assumption. That too is discipline.

So, if I had to pick I'd pick discipline. Not being a naturally talented person, I've used discipline to develop my skills so they are better than most naturally talented individuals. Did this with my work, hockey, pool, and now I hope poker.