Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2002, 02:29 PM

Default The worst bad beat -- with a twist

OK, first of all, I don't think set over set is a bad beat. The higher pocket pair was in the lead from the very start. To me, a bad beat is when the opponent catches a miracle card on the river to win against significant odds.

Here is the worst bad beat story I know. This is 4-8 holdem. My friend has AK. Flop is AAK. My friend gets continually reraised by a lovely idiot player at the table. In 4-8 holdem, they have put in over $120 on the flop, with the idiot having gone all in to the felt. The turn and river are 2, 2, giving the pot to the idiot, who has of course pocket deuces. Yes, he went all in with $120 on the flop.

"It gets worse," my friend told me, "because the dealer was my wife!"

True story. [img]/images/smile.gif[/img]

QT
Old 04-16-2002, 05:08 PM

Default Re: The worst bad beat -- with a twist

That has to either be a cold deck or a BS story. People are stupid, but I have trouble believing anyone could be THAT bad, it just doesn't make sense. Even KK would slow down after, say, the 10th raise. Sorry, just seems a little strange to me...

Jeff
Old 04-16-2002, 05:59 PM

you would think so but a friend of mine went nine raises with a flush against a paired board, so anything can happen.

Pat
Old 04-16-2002, 06:15 PM

My friend has played/dealt poker for something like 20 years, and has never exaggerated any poker hand story in the 3 years I have known him. It was in a home game, and it most unfortunately is a true story.
Old 04-16-2002, 06:19 PM

I was at the bar one night after work with my co-worker and her boyfriend, and I asked if he would give me a ride to my homegame. He decided he wanted to play. He had never played hold'em before, but he wanted to play. They had a 1-2 and a 2-4 table. He was playing 1-2 when he went fifteen bets on the turn with ace-rag, when the board was like A T 2 2. My friend Dave had TT. Some people just have no idea . . . it's like they really think someone's just going to fold if you put in the fourteenth raise. . .
Old 04-16-2002, 06:58 PM

In my observation, new holdem players seem to make the most mistakes with two pair. For example, player has 88, board is A77, and he bets. He gets raised and he re-raises. After the hand, a friend says to him "what the hell was that?" And the answer is always "isn't two pair pretty good??!"

Old 04-19-2002, 02:03 PM

Default Re: Worst Bad Beat in Hold Em

The worst bad beat is when you have the best of it but are very short on chips and there is not chance of winning a jackpot.

Years ago I beat a King high straight flush with a Royal. He had the 9, I had the Ace. I had the option to rebuild my stack before the hand but didn't. I only had about $15 in front of me when the cards were dealt. There were quite a few callers in this hand with lots of action. The side pot was bigger than the main pot I won.