Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-2002, 10:27 PM

Default Re: Addicted??????

Determination to be great at anything you decide to do is admirable and a great quality. Self destruction isn't.

Those that study the game, enjoy playing and continue to try and improve their game are not addicts. Pro's that have honed their skills to the point where they can make a living are to be admired as much as anyone else that is on the top of their chosen career.

However, there is still a percentage of players that are gambling addicts. They play in a game they know nothing about simply to gamble. They throw away their rent money, kids college money, etc. That's a self destructive addiction, and is not an admirable quality.

Old 04-09-2002, 07:30 AM

Default pokerguy, to us your post was a tad inexplicable *NM*

Old 04-09-2002, 08:59 AM

Default Re: pokerguy, to us your post was a tad inexplicab

Please elaborate. What i said was right on. And who is us? Who are you speaking for besides yourself?
Old 04-09-2002, 09:42 AM

Default since you said please...

PokerGuy, you said

"From most of your posts you sound like some bitter ugly chick. There's a reason nobody wants you and it has nothing with your looks. Your personality is much uglier than your looks i'm sure. Well it might be close only you know for sure."

Then,

"Baggins, I do know this girl. I know her to come out and rip someone for no good reason. She says something nasty and leaves. Never has anything nice to say. Just wants to try to make people miserable so they can be like her. Oh and btw i know your looking to laid. But you got know shot with her. I don't think she likes men."

QUESTIONS:

1. Please elaborate on "inexplicable."

I did a quick 2+2 search, and validated my initial assumptions that 1) Jenbuckshot hasn't really posted that much, and 2) there wasn't anything particularly bitter, or which would reveal as to whether or not guys lust after her, or she after them. She may be somewhat of a cynic in terms of her sense of humor, but I could probably say that about her just by knowing that she is a girl on 2+2, without reading any of her posts.

2. How is what I said not "right on?"

Well, it is very possible that you are reacting very predictably and correctly, but to only one post of Jenbuckshot's, and that it happens to be some obscure post which made in into your sample and onto your radar screen but not onto mine. But whether or not this is the case is obscured, rather than cleared up, by your assertions that you "do know" her, and her comings and goings and so on, but don't know what she looks like - if I understood all that right. As a someone who picks up on patterns, I can probably say Baggins is a flirt, Jenbuckshot is not. But much beyond that, I would have to say that either your reading skills are far superior to mine, or you're working with non-public material.

3. Who is "us?"

In general, in a forum like this, you have to be aware that you are talking to an individual, and to the forum at large, at the same time. So when you tell Jenbuckshot that she's ugly, or tell Baggins that Jenbuckshot is a lesbian, the rest of us want to be persuaded of these things as well, or you're just wasting our space. You can address it to Jenbuckshot, but really what you have to be doing is saying to the rest of us, Jenbuckshot is this kind of person and here is my evidence.

4. Who is eLROY speaking for besides himself?

I can only assume my 2+2 surfing habits are at least as thorough as the average reader of your post. And my manner of thinking is not unusual. In fact, I was tempted to make a post before Baggins did, not criticizing you, but questioning your motivation, like maybe you thought Jen was calling you a mope, rather than El Cid. I don't think it is too much of a stretch to suspect that more than one other person would be nearly as puzzled as I was, or nearly as disappointed as Baggins was.

And yes, I did become less puzzled in the course of this examination, but you have to appreciate the burden you're putting on the reader to sort it out. Anyway, I could say a lot more, but I think I have fulfilled my debt to your use of the word "please"

eLROY

Old 04-09-2002, 12:57 PM

Default Guys, please.

I was just joking, calling Pokerguy a mope since he sounded a little bitter defending the lifestyle El Cid described in his post. I will not attempt such putdown humor again.
Old 04-09-2002, 04:31 PM

Default Re: since you said please...

Elroy,

Thank you for the exlpaination. From what i've gathered it sounds like you went through some old posts from Jen and found some of the stuff i was referring too. Saying you were less puzzled in the coarse of the examination. I would never have reacted that way if i hadn't seen this before. And saying she has a cynical sense of humor may be correct. But does not excuse her from being nasty and insulting in many of her short responses to people. The other times i saw her rip people i let it go because i didn't want to get involved in a arguement. But when she ripped me with one of her one liners directly after writing a thoughtful post i had enough. I may have overreacted a bit in some of my comments to her.

As far as the "us" thing. I don't see how you can write the feelings of "us"(meaning other forum readers). You can only speak for yourself. Unless you spoke with all other readers and they gave you permission to say that was what they thought as well than it could be ok. Since this is impossible you can only speak for yourself. And speaking of wasting space i notice that some think this of you from your reputation on the other topics forum. Not saying that is the case as i rarely follow the other topics threads.

In closing i do appreciate your explanation. And see how you could get that idea that it was inexplicable. But if you researched further you might have seen some of her more nasty posts that led me to this reaction. I thank you for giving a clear explanation instead of just making some nasty comments like Jen sometimes does and leaving. By your reputation i thought you were gonna rip me. I respect you for not doing that. Thanks.
Old 04-09-2002, 04:45 PM

Default Re: Guys, please.

Thank you Jen. And thank you if you stop such put down humor. Its downright mean when someone says how they feel and you take a shot at them. I do feel some of your nasty comments are funny. But hurt the poster your ripping. Not that i got hurt because i don't let things like that hurt me. But was annoyed. But one post in particular that i remember i think was responding to Clarkmeister talking about his family and sharing his true feelings and you ripped him one with one of those one liners. While i do admit it was funny, i thought Clarkmeister or whomever you were reponding to wouldn't appreciate it and it wasn't worth the 2 seconds of humor to rip them when it would upset the original poster. Thats why i ripped you. I may have overreacted and i apoligize for that.
Old 04-09-2002, 10:56 PM

Default whatever your opinion is

personal issues don't need to be brought up on here, i don't think. perhaps i don't know the history between you two. but it seemed like your personal attacks on somebody's character were a bit uncalled for. as far as me trying to get laid, well, you're just flat out wrong. im getting by just fine, not diverting any extra attention to that area, don't really see the need. i'd defend any woman's honor on here or IRL, whether i was trying to get laid or not.
Old 04-09-2002, 11:02 PM

Default a flirt?

im not denying the charge, i probably am a flirt. but i'd like to know how in god's name you came up with that from my posts.

im not attacking, criticizing, or challenging in any mean-spirited or hyper-defensive way. just wondering what led you to that conclusion. i think its hilarious.
Old 04-10-2002, 04:21 AM

Default Re: a flirt?

What on earth gave him that idea? C'mon now.