Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Computer Technical Help

Old 06-19-2005, 08:46 PM

Default Question about MP3\'s

Link

How come when I right click on a song, click summary and click Advanced, some of my songs look the file on the right, and some look like the file on the left? I would prefer that they all looked like the one on the right, if it is possible to change it?

Also, is there a way to change of all of my music into the bitrate(i.e, all at 128 kbps)?

What is the best bitrate for my music to be? Obviously, higher is better, but at what point does the difference in quality become pretty much unnoticeable? I would like for my music to take up as little space as possible, but I would like to have decent quality. What bitrate should I convert my music to in order to accomplish this?

If you can answer any of my questions, I would appreciate it.
Old 06-19-2005, 09:27 PM

Default Re: Question about MP3\'s

You may need to tag your mp3s. I use mp3tagtools.

Anyways, if you want all of your music at one bitrate (192 is good for playing out of a nicer stereo--128 is fine for your computer), you have to manually convert it using something like CDex.

That's about as much as I know...I use iTunes.
Old 06-19-2005, 09:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Also, is there a way to change of all of my music into the bitrate(i.e, all at 128 kbps)?

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously, converting mp3s to a higher bitrate won't help at all, and converting mp3s to a lower bitrate will only decrease the quality. If you want higher quality mp3s you need to rip them from cds.
Old 06-20-2005, 05:10 AM

"What is the best bitrate for my music to be? Obviously, higher is better, but at what point does the difference in quality become pretty much unnoticeable? I would like for my music to take up as little space as possible, but I would like to have decent quality. What bitrate should I convert my music to in order to accomplish this?"

It depends on the encoder, I would say 192kbit is a very good tradeoff between size and quality if you use a good encoder. I recomend LAME http://rarewares.org/mp3.html You could also use a VBR setting with default at 192kbit (or higher) witch would have even better results. If you are not happy with soundquality then try 256kbit.
Old 06-21-2005, 12:46 AM

Definitely use Lame when encoding. The best out there. 192 is fine or just use their classic preset "alt-preset-standard" in the setup with razorlame (a good frontend for Lame)