Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip

Old 05-03-2002, 02:49 PM

Default Poker, a job to you?

When you prepare for a poker session, do you have feelings similar to going to a job, you don't like? You force yourself into preparing and go to the game, only because you are making money. (Just wondering how many folks, are in that boat, with me. I derive absolutely no pleasure, from the game. I have been playing about twenty years.)
Old 05-03-2002, 04:15 PM

Default Re: Poker, a job to you?

If you derive no pleasure, why play? Is the pay that good?? Why not get a "real" job where there is no risk of losing money?

I usually look forward to it, however I do feel like it is somewhat of a job strictly due to the patience that is needed to play properly. However, I usually enjoy it enough to continue playing next week, month, etc.
Old 05-05-2002, 11:28 PM

"Why not get a "real" job where there is no risk of losing money?"

if he's been playing poker for 20 years pro i doubt he's qualified to get hired for much else that pays comparably.

Old 05-03-2002, 05:02 PM

I work hard at making money with poker, but I laugh out loud at least a few times, flirt with the food service and cocktail girls and leave when I tired. I feel good when I play right and win. If I derived absolutely no pleasure from poker, I don't think I'd play at all.

Didn't you like it at least the first few times you played?
Old 05-04-2002, 10:16 AM

Scott- Glad to hear that the Babe is not the only one who is capable of laughing during a game. When Tommy and I were playing at the Horseshoe, something happened which was so funny that I had to leave the table because I was crying from laughing so hard! Yesterday at the Mirage some guy said that he could not say the "F" word in front of "Siegfried and Roy" (whose pictures are on the $5.00 chips) and I had to LOL at that remark. Another guy said to his (male) friend "go ahead and call me Bitch" - "My Siegfried and Roy chips will kick your ass if you do" (and I now must walk away because I'm JUST HYSTERICAL). As for the flirting thing...well...for the Babe, that's a natural, but when you "work" it's called "sexual harassment". Why play if you can't laugh and flirt as long as you are not an ass or a "funnel head". Babe.
Old 05-04-2002, 06:41 AM

There are certainly days when i truley don't want to be playing where i get sick and tired of bad beats, and or annoying people at the tables. But i still enjoy the game, and it is better than any other job i ever had. You can't beat not having to answer to a boss. I feel so much more free.
Old 05-04-2002, 10:01 AM

Pokerguy-don't forget that you occassionally get to sit with the PokerBabe so your job is better than most!(Big-smile). I haven't seen you for awhile but I will be watching you in the finals and hopefully at the final table! See ya there...Babe
Old 05-04-2002, 03:14 PM

That's true. Not everybody can say they get to sit with the Babe. I've been playing online alot lately. I was down at Binion's in the beginning of the series, but playing mostly one table satelites upstairs. I hope you see me at the final table in the main event. See you then!
Old 05-04-2002, 02:04 PM

For me, playing poker is a labor of like. Enjoy making money first and also enjoy seeing nasty opponents squirm.
Old 05-04-2002, 02:58 PM

Yeah, poker can be tedious and joyless on some days regardless of if you are winning or losing. But it is 200x better than any job where I have to get in by a set time, stay for 8-10 hours, make it appear I am busy most of the day, and talk to and seem interested in people that I couldn't care less about. I'll take poker any day.

DN