Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2005, 10:03 PM

Default Re: Daniel Negreanu is now 1st a businessman, 2nd a poker player

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
it seems to be that you have little concept of how capitalism and a free market approach works. if the wages being paid for Nike were so atrociously bad, people wouldn't work there.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't be so naive as to believe this can you? I hate "lol" but I am literally laughing so hard that you're seriously suggesting that sweat shop wages in Indonesia aren't so bad, because, well, why else would people work there? Maybe because they're poor Indonesions who are easily exploitable due to a lack of options. YOU CANNOT HONESTLY BELIEVE THIS DRIVEL! HOLY [censored]!

[/ QUOTE ]

so what you're saying is: they're better off with the sweat shops than without them because they have no other options, but the sweat shops are bad anyway, because they don't treat their workers as well as US employers are forced to?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ehh not to hijack this thread or anything, but if anyone believes sweat shop wages are anything but terrible you might want to do some research on the subject. I'm not a know it all but I happened to do some research on sweat shops and child prostition in Asia and it basically goes like:

1. Family can't eat.
2. Someone says if you let us take your child we will pay you 200 bucks a month
3. Family has choice of either letting child starve to death or give them up. Literally, the child is starving to death. What is the family going to do?
4. Child leaves and works for "company" for very very little money a month, which is given directly to family, plus the child is given food.

Sorry for this comment but it bothers me when people talk about this subject, because it's really serious and something everyone should know about. If you want further discussion I suggest someone starts a thread in OOT or looks up research...and by research I mean credible, like library style research.

Jon
Old 05-02-2005, 10:06 PM

I can't say what I would do in his position, but basically most athletes who have famous name plug endorsments because, to them, it's risk free money.

In this case Dan N. knows there is a risk involved, but if pokermountain takes off he will never have to think about money again, so it is worth the risk.

I don't fault him whatsoever for trying to secure his future by means other than playing cards.
Old 05-02-2005, 10:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What does it say when the top players in the world are looking to generate income away from the table?

[/ QUOTE ]

lol. What does it say? What does it say when Tiger Woods tries to generate income away from the golf course? What does it say when Michael Jordan tries to generate income awsy from the court? Etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

When a guy as preposterously rich as Michael Jordan lets Nike pay him for his name but sets no conditions, so Nike happily employs Indonesian children at near-starvation wages? It says a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

it seems to be that you have little concept of how capitalism and a free market approach works. if the wages being paid for Nike were so atrociously bad, people wouldn't work there. In fact Nike's pay was above the average wage there. I don't think you can give any reasons why Nike should pay an artificially high price.

[/ QUOTE ]

It seems you have little concept either of knowledge or of ethics. I'd also give you low marks in internet trolling.
Old 05-02-2005, 10:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You would do the same in his shoes.

-SmileyEH

[/ QUOTE ]

That rationale is used for anything up to and including murder.

I don't buy it.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's nothing to buy. The man is just doing whatever he wants to to make a living.

-SmileyEH

[/ QUOTE ]

Which wasn't actually the subject, Captain Obvious.

It was the rationale behind it.
Old 05-02-2005, 10:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
it seems to be that you have little concept of how capitalism and a free market approach works. if the wages being paid for Nike were so atrociously bad, people wouldn't work there.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't be so naive as to believe this can you? I hate "lol" but I am literally laughing so hard that you're seriously suggesting that sweat shop wages in Indonesia aren't so bad, because, well, why else would people work there? Maybe because they're poor Indonesions who are easily exploitable due to a lack of options. YOU CANNOT HONESTLY BELIEVE THIS DRIVEL! HOLY [censored]!

[/ QUOTE ]

He doesn't. But he's quoting the party line, as if nobody had ever heard it before and we were all just dying to hear it again. Or maybe if he says it enough, he'll get a lapel pin or something.
Old 05-02-2005, 10:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

so what you're saying is: they're better off with the sweat shops than without them because they have no other options, but the sweat shops are bad anyway, because they don't treat their workers as well as US employers are forced to?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ehh not to hijack this thread or anything, but if anyone believes sweat shop wages are anything but terrible you might want to do some research on the subject. I'm not a know it all but I happened to do some research on sweat shops and child prostition in Asia and it basically goes like:

1. Family can't eat.
3. Family has choice of either letting child starve to death or give them up. Literally, the child is starving to death. What is the family going to do?
4. Child leaves and works for "company" for very very little money a month, which is given directly to family, plus the child is given food.

Sorry for this comment but it bothers me when people talk about this subject, because it's really serious and something everyone should know about. If you want further discussion I suggest someone starts a thread in OOT or looks up research...and by research I mean credible, like library style research.

Jon

[/ QUOTE ]

Not gonna happen much here in America. Knowledge of the rest of the world is not at a premium here, nor is giving a damn or believing we have any responsibility for anything.

As long as we have 25 kinds of potato chips on the shelves, everyone can go to hell.
Old 05-02-2005, 11:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

1. Family can't eat.

Jon

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 05-03-2005, 12:54 AM

Default What was he suppose to talk about?

An interview with Danny and he talks all about himself and where he's playing and whats going on in his life. What a conceded jerk. I cant believe it.
Old 05-03-2005, 11:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]

1. Family can't eat.

[/ QUOTE ]

so the child and family were starving, and were given food and money in exchange for the child working. i fail to see how this has negatively impacted the family's situation. yes, it is not as good a situation as it possibly could be, but the family and child are now both able to eat and survive, which they could not do before.

if sweat shops and other exploitive labor situations didn't improve the workers' lives from their AVAILABLE ALTERNATIVES, they wouldn't exist.
Old 05-03-2005, 12:04 PM

In addition Dan is not really selling a product, so much as has signed a contract with both business'. It is likely that endorsing (such as mentioning on a live talk show) competitors to these business' would violate his existing contract. It's quite standard for business' to require you to sign non-compete agreements.