Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2005, 03:27 PM

Default Problems with home network & internet through DSL modem

I have a newer Dell desktop running XP Pro. I get DSL from the local phone company (Qwest) using their modem (Actiontek). I plugged a backup computer (an older Dell running Windows ME) into the modem, and could get internet access and could network between the two computers.

After a few months of working fine, the older computer started losing its connection to the modem more and more. The green indicator light for each port on the modem is solid green when a computer is plugged in and working. The modem light for the older computer flashes rapidly when the connection is not working. It would work intermitantly after rebooting the computer or the modem, but the length of time it was not making the connection grew longer and longer, and now it never seems to work. I have called Qwest tech service, and they tried to help me without success.

Is this problem because of the older operating system? Is there any solution other than an upgrade to another XP machine? Thanks.
Old 11-18-2005, 03:53 PM

Default Re: Problems with home network & internet through DSL modem

The filters that you have to put on the lines of the other phones in the house can go bad and cause this problem so you might want to unplug all the phones in the house from their jacks and see if this clears up the problem. If so then plug them in one at a time to isolate. Same thing if you have added a phone without such a filter.