Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2005, 12:46 PM

Default 6-Max NL Ring

Hi, I am typically a SNG player but I am going around bonus whoring and am attempting to learn the 6-max NL games. Now, I have searched through the forum and 20 buy-ins is the mark to escape the "risk of ruin" for a player but I was wondering if that was slightly excessive at the 50 6-Max games at party.

Basically is 20 buy ins what you should want for higher limits or when you are just learning to play? Basically I'm planning on taking 700 bucks and throwing it into party and I was wondering if that is enough for lets say an above average player to 4 table the 6 max 50 dollar games and endure the swings that might occur or should I just play the 25 max NL games until I clear my bonus and win the extra cash to be at 1g?

Also I was wondering if anybody had any large sample sizes that gave a good idea of an hourly wage that can be achieved playing these games or a bb/100 hands type of thing.

I would really appreciate any responses.
Old 05-23-2005, 01:00 PM

Default Re: 6-Max NL Ring

I don't mean to be a jerk, but if you're just learning NL ring games, why do you assume you'd be above average playing 4 tables at a time right off the bat? Even if you are an excellent SNG player, you shouldn't assume you're immediately going to be a winning ring game player.

20 buyins ought to give you a comfortable cushion. Some people say 10 is plenty, others prefer to have 30. It is also a function of your style of play. Both TAG and LAG styles can be winners in NL but a LAG style will generally have greater swings (thus necessitating a larger bankroll to ride them out).

$700 is 14 buyins at the .25/.50 blind Party game so you should be fine with that if you are, indeed, a winning player. My caution to you is to not assume you will be a winner right away if the bulk of your NL experience is in tournaments (SNGs, MTTs).
Old 05-23-2005, 01:08 PM

DO NOT play more than 2 six max tables at once, esp if learning.
Old 05-24-2005, 10:37 AM

I can play 3 10-handed NL games .10/.25 NL but right now only one 6-max at a time because there is much more to it at 6 max. If you are just learning NL, why are you jumping into the $50 NL games on party ? I'd start at $25 NL . What is wrong with that ? You can make decent money at the .10/.25 NL 6 max if you are good.