Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2005, 12:40 AM

Default People who have played football....

It seems to me that people who have played football from high school, to pro seem to know a lot more about people who have never played, even if those people who have never played know a lot about the game and stats. Anyone feel this way? That experience in the game gives you a lot of knowledge. This stems from my post when someone replied and said a great offense is better than a great defense. And in another post where someone said a fumble should not be a turnover.
Any thoughts on the general ideology of my post...
Old 09-19-2005, 02:34 AM

Default Re: People who have played football....

You are correct. I learned a ton of stuff I would not have known had I not played football in high school.
Old 09-19-2005, 02:45 AM

Totally true. its the little things-- like knowing how hard it is to pick up a fumble in a game situation. Or like culpepper knowing what is like to thorw 5 picks in a game
Old 09-19-2005, 03:01 AM

If you have played one sport competitively you can understand them all. If you can't, well then you were probably that numbskull on my baseball team that always got doubled off first or that other imbecile on my hockey team that always took stupid penalties late in close games.
Old 09-19-2005, 03:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you have played one sport competitively you can understand them all.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a pretty dumb statement.
Old 09-19-2005, 05:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Totally true. its the little things-- like knowing how hard it is to pick up a fumble in a game situation. Or like culpepper knowing what is like to thorw 5 picks in a game

[/ QUOTE ]

Sadly, I know the feeling. Oh god, what a horrible, horrible day. Thankfully I can't remember it... Thank you concussion-fairy!
Old 09-19-2005, 09:28 AM

Football and baseball have nothing in common.
Old 09-19-2005, 09:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It seems to me that people who have played football from high school, to pro seem to know a lot more about people who have never played, even if those people who have never played know a lot about the game and stats. Anyone feel this way? That experience in the game gives you a lot of knowledge. This stems from my post when someone replied and said a great offense is better than a great defense. And in another post where someone said a fumble should not be a turnover.
Any thoughts on the general ideology of my post...

[/ QUOTE ]
Let me start by stating that I played football through high school, and I consider myself knowledgeable about the game, though I'm sure others would disagree. That said, I think this statement is completely false. I've had conversations with people that have never played football before whose knowledge I have great respect for, and likewise people that have played organized ball thier entire lives that know virtually nothing. It's my opinion that, while this may be correct in some cases, it's mostly just a generalization.
Old 09-19-2005, 12:00 PM

I know there are coaches that didn't play college football, not sure if they also didn't play in high school or not. I didn't play in high school and feel that I understand the game as well as anybody else that follows football closely but not obsessively.

I think you're mistaking correlation with causation. People that play football in high school are more likely to really be obsessed with it and thus know more about it. Sure I don't know what it's like to throw five interceptions but that doesn't really mean I know less about the game. Also I do know what it's like to be a defender in soccer and have the guy on my side score three goals in a match, it's gotta be pretty similar.
Old 09-19-2005, 12:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also I do know what it's like to be a defender in soccer and have the guy on my side score three goals in a match, it's gotta be pretty similar.

[/ QUOTE ]
Somebody flag this guy for bringing up soccer in a football thread... [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]