Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2005, 11:59 AM

Default Re: great, now i\'m the a-hole boyfriend

It's frustrating trying to explain something to an idiot, let alone a group of idiots. I'd let them play without my help, and eventually they will realize their tourney structure sucks and come to you for help, if you don't pressure them into doing so yourself.

One guy I know that runs home games used to give players such a small amount of starting chips that everyone was making change for the first two hours. I told him to give more chips but he didn't listen. I "voted" by not showing up until he changed this. Not much more that can be done.
Old 11-22-2005, 08:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]

It really sounds like you tried to get them all to convert to what you thought was right. Even though it's clearly correct, being the one vs. everyone else is an a-hole thing to do. Period.

[/ QUOTE ]

No it's not. He obviously knows more about poker than some random dicks off the street and thus they should understand what he is doing is for the best, rather than give opinions they know nothing about.

The person who called to complain to your girlfriend was a dick.

FWIW, playing for money against her friends while they know you play a fair amount of poker is just going to go awfully. You spend all your night screaming 'you can't check!!' and if you win you seem like a dick. I usually just agree to play everyone of my hands bt then try to play somewhat decent after that.
Old 11-22-2005, 11:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

No it's not. He obviously knows more about poker than some random dicks off the street and thus they should understand what he is doing is for the best, rather than give opinions they know nothing about.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would not expect people to cater to my decisions to a poker game simply because I am knowledgable. People are stubborn and aren't ready to listen to ideas that are new to them.

[ QUOTE ]
The person who called to complain to your girlfriend was a dick.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it seemed unecessary.

[ QUOTE ]
FWIW, playing for money against her friends while they know you play a fair amount of poker is just going to go awfully. You spend all your night screaming 'you can't check!!' and if you win you seem like a dick.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, the 'check' comment gets it. Homegames should only be taken as seriously as others make it. This is key. 2+2ers really have to lighten up when playing against fish who are friends of SOs.
Old 11-23-2005, 01:57 AM

again i wasn't trying to convince them what was technically "right". notice, i didn't say anything about the people who were raising a quarter when the original bet was $1 which is clearly against the rules. i let all that stuff go. the only reason i argued about the starting chips was because i was concerned for THEIR interest, not my own. i didn't want someone to be out after 2 hands. also, we were hosting it in case that was missed. it wasn't like i went to someone else's house and tried to tell them how to run their tournament.
Old 11-23-2005, 03:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Homegames should only be taken as seriously as others make it. This is key. 2+2ers really have to lighten up when playing against fish who are friends of SOs.

[/ QUOTE ]
This has been key to the success of our home game. There are a couple of us who play thousands of hands a week, both online and live but we are able to lighten up enough that everyone's having fun and pick little things to get a little more strict about as people get the hang of things and start getting more serious.

Even though things will bug the hell out of you, let them be dumb. Don't try to force them into a serious (in terms of etiqutte and structure) player. Points things out here and there and let them happen.
Old 11-22-2005, 08:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It really sounds like you tried to get them all to convert to what you thought was right. Even though it's clearly correct, being the one vs. everyone else is an a-hole thing to do. Period.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong. He didn't think he was right, he was right.

Don't let anyone's opinion of you color your objective opinion. If you are right, then stick to it.
Old 11-22-2005, 11:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong. He didn't think he was right, he was right.

Don't let anyone's opinion of you color your objective opinion. If you are right, then stick to it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Notice I said "Even though it's clearly correct". I am NOT SAYING HE THOUGHT HE WAS RIGHT, I'm saying HE WAS RIGHT.

My point was that these people are clearly liesurely players, and it's not worth a lot to argue with them. When it comes to an activity/game that you take very seriously and others do not, it is often hopeless to try to explain the details to people unless they are willing to listen. Clearly they were not.

Also the "If you are right, then stick to it" is the worst advice I have seen in this thread. It's a homegame for crying outloud. Is it worth not getting any from your gf to showing them that you're correct? It's childish.
Old 11-22-2005, 05:35 AM

WTF does this have to do with the internet?

Go back to Home Poker homey.
Old 11-22-2005, 05:47 AM

Link Watch out for [censored] and * though.
Old 11-22-2005, 05:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Link Watch out for [censored] and * though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Worst advise in this thread.
Don't post Poker in Other, other topics. quick way to get your post moved and in trouble.