Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2005, 10:37 PM

Default Re: Fair Price for Brake Work?

as odd as it seems, unless you're under warranty, never ever ever take your car to the dealer for work.

they have to pay the corporation inflated prices and so they charge you inflated prices. its the worst situation to be in.

you can rest assured in the fact that everything should be done correctly and properly though. although im sure someone has a "i took my car to the dealer for repairs and they [censored] 'ed it all up" story.
Old 08-11-2005, 10:53 PM

Please give me the name of the guy doing complete brake jobs for $65 in labor, they won't be open long.
[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-15-2005, 05:25 PM

I just had brakes (pads) and rotors replaced this morning $600 for the deal (from a friends brother who owns the shop).

I did come to a realization tho, Poker Players and mechanics live by the same motto...... <font color="blue"> Its immoral to let a sucker keep his money </font> [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-15-2005, 06:27 PM

Well, considering you can walk into AutoZone and buy front brake pads for both wheels for $35 (for quality pads, you can get junk for less), rotors for $20 a piece (again quality), and it only takes 20 minutes to do the job (plus, the shop pays less for the parts), they're not charging $65 for labor. It's ridiculous that you can buy pads for $35 RETAIL, and the shop will list it as a $75 part, and not even use ceramic pads.

Doing brakes on a car is no more complicated than doing brakes on a ten-speed bike.
Old 08-15-2005, 07:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, considering you can walk into AutoZone and buy front brake pads for both wheels for $35 (for quality pads, you can get junk for less), rotors for $20 a piece (again quality), and it only takes 20 minutes to do the job (plus, the shop pays less for the parts), they're not charging $65 for labor. It's ridiculous that you can buy pads for $35 RETAIL, and the shop will list it as a $75 part, and not even use ceramic pads.

Doing brakes on a car is no more complicated than doing brakes on a ten-speed bike.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have the invoice that details the cost for everything, I can post it line by line later. So i can see exactly what they were charging. The only thing that really bothers me about the whole thing is they were unable to finish the car the day I dropped it off. The reason given was they didnt have all the parts needed, well you are a dealer with a large service center and I drive a fairly common car, why the hell dont you have these parts on hand?

Lastly there is no way in hell I was doing this myself. I dont have the tools, the mechanical ability or the desire to even think about trying home auto repair.
Old 08-15-2005, 07:24 PM

Yeah, I would be interested in seeing the itemized list. I really wouldn't have a dealer do the work; it'll cost at least twice as much.

Go to a brake shop and have them look at it. Chances are you don't need your rotors replaced (unless you truly abuse your car). At worst you will need them machined.