Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2005, 03:57 AM

Default Re: NLH Decision – “more angles than a protractor!”

[ QUOTE ]
I'd like a comment on Player A's action and the room rules that allowed him in this way. I thought this whole thread was going to be about his angle shot. He picks up a stack of chips with no verbal declaration and begins putting them in the pot. I would have thought those chips and only those chips were committed. At that point, Player B's call is in turn and binding. To my mind, this situation could have been avoided if the rules would have required Player A to either make a verbal declaration of his intent to raise, or to gather the exact number of chips and place them in the pot in one motion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Palming a stack of twenty or so chips and cutting out two to four small stacks of three to perhaps six chips has become very common and accepted in Los Angeles. Generally it doesn't cause confusion as *almost* everyone understands that you need to wait for your opponent to stop cutting. That said, doing things as described in your last statement above would make things a lot cleaner but might be in the category of making the game a bit nittier since the practice is a carryover from limit.

Also note that Player B admitted he that he knew Player A hadn't completed his action when he said call.

Anyway, I'm getting a bit tired but hopefully I've cleared this up a little anyway.

~ Rick
Old 10-14-2005, 02:55 PM

Default Re: betting lines and procedures, rules

[ QUOTE ]

When I first started playing, I didn't know what a string bet was or that the "call and raise" was disallowed. Someone at the table told me I couldn't do it. They didn't let me then, and I havne't tried since. It's wrong to say, "okay, just this once; but don't do it again."

[/ QUOTE ]

I have found out that it is very good to use "just this once"-method with newbies. This way they are able to make the action they wanted and dont feel like they have been cheated because they couldnt raise with AA. At the same time they will get the information about how to raise properly and learn from it. This will make them feel welcome and they keep coming again and again and hopefully they´ll bring even their friends with them.

Ofcourse this is very case-sensitive and you have to use very good judgement in this.