Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2005, 09:20 AM

Default Do you make a value bet here $5.50 UB

Is checking the river here WAY too weak tight, I had a sick feeling that J/10 was slowplaying here, but this was after taking some bad beats and getting trapped with monsters at other tables all night. Do I get called by any hands I beat?

Ultimate Bet No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t40 (7 handed) converter

Hero (t1640)
SB (t1520)
BB (t4335)
UTG (t2915)
MP1 (t1515)
MP2 (t1800)
CO (t1275)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 calls t40, CO calls t40, Hero calls t40, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB checks.

Flop: (t180) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, MP2 checks, CO checks, Hero checks.

Turn: (t180) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets t50</font>, MP2 calls t50, CO calls t50, Hero calls t50.

River: (t380) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, MP2 checks, CO checks, Hero??
Old 12-06-2005, 10:06 AM

Default Re: Do you make a value bet here $5.50 UB

Yes. I'd be value betting this and expecting calls from all kinds of trash, especially in a $5 game. Kings, nines, eights, two pairs, etc. If you're reraised, it's another matter, but you haven't been leading out before, so they have no reason to expect you to do so here, it'd be a very bad place for one of the earlier players to expect to be able to check/raise.
Old 12-06-2005, 10:08 AM

I do. I don't see a K in the hand, but you will get paid by a 9, 8, 7, 4, and any other pocket pair. An MP2/CO "JT" is raising this very weak turn lead. If BB had it, he'd be value betting more himself here on the turn perhaps.

You get called by less WAY more here than you get trapped by the nut straight.
Old 12-06-2005, 11:01 AM

I think you have to value bet. I highly doubt BB is trapping, they shut down after their weak attempt at the pot on the turn failed. One of the other two opponents would have probably bet the river instead of c/r, because they could not expect anyone else to bet.

I would put in a bet of 100 - 150 and hope for 1-2 callers.

EDIT: Additional question -- why would you check when you called 50 on the turn and got the best possible river card?
Old 12-06-2005, 12:20 PM

bet t175. raising the turn will make it a lot more likely that you will get some more action though.

PF call was a bit loose, especially if you are not getting more chips out of hands like this.
Old 12-06-2005, 01:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
PF call was a bit loose, especially if you are not getting more chips out of hands like this.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is what makes me the most sick about the way I played the hand. I called because I figured with my position I could maybe steal a small pot or win a big one if my hand hit. My hand hit and I chickened out, I think I was on chicken tilt. I had been punished for my aggression so much that I was seeing monsters.

I just wanted to post this hand to see if I was being in the least bit reasonable in my thinking, and obviously I wasn't.

I think I should have min raised the turn. It seems at this level, EVERYONE calls a min raise, even when they're bluffing, it's like psychologically, they won't be pushed around by a min raise.