Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2005, 12:34 AM

Default AA and AK

One of the best players I've encountered in the top section at Commerce once told me that the most underrated hand in Commerce hold 'em is A-A and the most overrated A-K, and that he thought his advantage in the game came from, when he had A-A, convincing people he had A-K, and, conversely, when he had A-K, convincing people that he had A-A. I don't think it takes much convincing for most Commerce types to put you on A-K, but sometimes . . .

40-80. My big blind and UTG raises. He plays a lot of hands pre-flop, but he's a very good postflop player. He's tricky and usually pretty aggressive although he does respect my game. All fold to the small blind, a pretty tight ABCish house player who grinds out a small profit. I have pocket aces and 3-bet. They both call.

Flop comes J-6-2 rainbow. Sb checks, I bet, and both call. Turn is a 7, completing the rainbow. We check around.

River is a 7. Small blind bets and I raise. UTG folds, small blind announces he has to call because he hasn't a clue what I have, and does. AMHIG.

Needless to say, there was much eyebrow raising about my turn check. Anybody love or hate it, either in this particular hand or from a metagame perspective?
Old 08-10-2005, 01:01 AM

Default Re: AA and AK

You gotta be pretty sure that both players are drawing dead, so you gotta read them both for something like Ax or Kx. Even if one of them has a pocket pair, from which it looks like the SB did by the way he played his hand, I don't think slowplaying AA in middle position here is worth it.

As for the meta-game, I'd save that more for HU play, as opposed to a 3 way pot where playing your AA the straightforward way is probably better than getting fancy. Unless of course you feel you can extract an extra bet here or there that you wouldn't playing straightforward, but I don't see how.

Lawrence
Old 08-10-2005, 01:27 AM

Default Re: AA and AK.

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] another top post;

but hey; i think you were too cute here

gl

[img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 08-10-2005, 01:34 AM

this is expert. it doesnt matter too much what instance but you need to do this every now and then against observant players who are trying to play well. it gives your bluffs and semibluffs more oooommpphh!

standard stuff, im going to sit here and laugh now while every mediocre poster in here screams fps.
Old 08-10-2005, 01:39 AM

Perfect. This is a line I use often against only 2 opponents, but for the record, I only use this type of line when I feel that my play has drawn itself more towards the ABC side. Now, a lot of money is to be made out there by ABC poker, but against the same opponents, day in day out, you need to mix it up occassionally. NH...
Old 08-10-2005, 01:46 AM

cool post
Old 08-10-2005, 01:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Needless to say, there was much eyebrow raising about my turn check. Anybody love or hate it, either in this particular hand or from a metagame perspective?

[/ QUOTE ]

Was your 4th street check intended to simulate AK? This play might get you a free card with your next AK, but I would prefer to work it the other way around--play AK a little more strongly to get extra bets with AA. (I am unfamiliar with Commerce 40-80, so what I suggest might be a little too cliched to work in that game.)
Old 08-10-2005, 02:39 AM

Hello Andy,

Regarding the first paragraph, I could not agree more.

Regarding your turn check, I like it, especially if your opponents, utg in particular, were who I think thay are.

Now you have to find an opportunity to play AK as if it were AA.

Jim
Old 08-10-2005, 02:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Needless to say, there was much eyebrow raising about my turn check.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right Ho, Jeeves.

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-10-2005, 03:24 AM

for once I agree with mike l. careful examination of the board indicates a classic "slowplaying" board despite being j high. an excellent spot for this play. 4th street is a great place to slowplay a monster and pass it off as big cards that missed.

Dan Z.