Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2005, 06:03 PM

Default I almost crapped my pants laughing

This may have been one of the most ridiculous things I've ever seen at a poker game. It had the whole table in stitches...

$20, 10 person home tourney. About 8-10 hands into it MP (a real LAG, out-of-control player) raises 4 times the BB. The button re-rasies (I don't remember the exact amount) and it gets folded around to the original raiser who immediately pushes all in. The button sits and thinks for about a minute before announcing that he isn't calling/folding yet, just flipping his cards. He turns over JJ and studies the LAG player who just sits there grinning. After another minute or so, LAG says that he'll turn over one card to make the button's decision easier. As everyone laughs, he flips over a 10 (remember, this is after he saw the button's JJ). The button immediately calls (of course) and the LAG flips his other card to show 10 10. No one can believe what they just saw, especially when LAG spikes his set on the flop and doubles up at the button's expense. His response...? 'Pocket 10s trip up more than any other pair, so I knew I was good' The best part was that he was dead serious. Priceless.
Old 07-18-2005, 06:13 PM

Default Re: I almost crapped my pants laughing

[ QUOTE ]
'Pocket 10s trip up more than any other pair, so I knew I was good' The best part was that he was dead serious.

[/ QUOTE ]

Amazing this dipshit doesn't forget to breathe and die one day.
Old 07-18-2005, 06:24 PM

Not to hijack, but just to share another funny story. I was playing in a tourney the other day and we were a couple rounds in. I think the blinds were around 30/60, can't remember exactly but it does not make a difference.

EP a tight fundamental player makes it 200 to go. The BB raises it up to 300. Before the BB can get his chips in for the raise EP is going all in for right around 1000. This causes BB to go into the tank. Minutes and I mean minutes later BB decides to call over half his stack to EP.

EP proudly flips up QQ and BB just looks stunned as he flips over 79s. The flop comes as you would guess rag-rag-9. And, as luck would have it the turn and the river bring the other two 9s. EP slams the table and leaves for about 10 minutes as me and the other players can't stop laughing.

BB proudly claims that he called because he felt it and he was looking for a flush.
Old 07-18-2005, 06:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Robert's Rules of Poker - Tournaments

21. Showing cards from a live hand during the action injures the rights of other players still competing in an event, who wish to see contestants eliminated. A player in a multihanded pot may not show any cards during a deal. Heads-up, a player may not show any cards unless the event has only two remaining players, or is winner-take-all. If a player deliberately shows a card, the player may be penalized (but his hand will not be ruled dead). Verbally stating one’s hand during the play may be penalized.

[/ QUOTE ]

The TT player may be a moran, but the JJ player deserved to lose for trying to be a hotshot.
Old 07-18-2005, 06:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Robert's Rules of Poker - Tournaments

21. Showing cards from a live hand during the action injures the rights of other players still competing in an event, who wish to see contestants eliminated. A player in a multihanded pot may not show any cards during a deal. Heads-up, a player may not show any cards unless the event has only two remaining players, or is winner-take-all. If a player deliberately shows a card, the player may be penalized (but his hand will not be ruled dead). Verbally stating one’s hand during the play may be penalized.

[/ QUOTE ]

The TT player may be a moran, but the JJ player deserved to lose for trying to be a hotshot.

[/ QUOTE ]

He wasn't trying to be a 'hotshot'. He was faced with a legitimately tough choice and just wanted to try and get a read on the other player or get him to pull some of his usual anitcs. At a friendly home tourney no one's a stickler about the fine points of the official rules. You shouldn't be either...
Old 07-18-2005, 06:50 PM

seems like playing a home poker game with you would be a [censored] blast... relax man it was just a $20 buy-in
Old 07-18-2005, 06:55 PM

i love it when an angle shot backfires
Old 07-18-2005, 06:57 PM

That's exactly my point. It's a $20 game. There's no reason to expose cards and stare a guy down for a minute or so. If the player wants to treat it like a big stakes game, then he's got to follow the rules to do so.

And for what it's worth, our home games are lax and fun. Coincidentally, no one has ever exposed cards and then stared a man down to try to get a read. Amazing how that works.
Old 07-18-2005, 07:08 PM

I went back and read your 'rules' post more carefully. The tourney was in fact winner take all, so flipping his cards was totally legal. Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

* BTW, this was supposed to just be an amusing story for everyone to check out and get a laugh from. You, my friend, need to develop a sense of humor.
Old 07-18-2005, 07:14 PM

yep, a buddy of mine tries to do the same thing, angle shooting bullxxxx. one time he raised preflop, guy called. flop came down Kxx...villain went all in, buddy thought for a while, he took an angle shot and revealed his AK...villain's response "oh xxxx, oh xxxx!! damn it, damn it!!" buddy calls. villain shows KK...my buddy gets pissed and asks why villain got so upset, his response, "if you catch an ace i'm dead!" hahaha so classic.