Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2005, 08:15 PM

Default $30/60, AJo from the small blind.

8-handed $30/60 on UltimateBet. As usual, quite aggressive preflop.

UTG+1 open-raises, I have little info on him other than that I've seen him open-limp at least once. Folded to me in the small blind, and I choose to make a very rare coldcall with A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. The big blind comes along as well, so three to the flop.

Flop: J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Checked to UTG+1 who bets, I checkraise, big blind folds, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. I bet, UTG+1 pauses briefly and calls.

River: 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. I check, with a view to a river checkraise. This is a play I've had mixed success with lately. How'bout this spot? Also, what about preflop and flop choices?

My thoughts and results later.

lars
Old 07-05-2005, 08:40 PM

Default Re: $30/60, AJo from the small blind.

I'm curious as to why you would choose to cold-call an early open-raise with AJo in the SB. If I chose to play this hand, I would much rather 3-bet, take the early initiative, and get rid of the BB. But most of the time I would fold unless I knew that UTG+1 was a LAG.

After that, your particular line is fine as are a number of other variations. Since you know practically nothing about your opponent, let's assume some default reasonable player. So what are you putting him on? He likely doesn't have QQ because I would imagine he would have 3-bet the flop. He may have KK and was hoping to raise a safe turn until the A came. There's also a small chance that he has TT/99 and is praying that all you have is a flush draw, but he should really know to fold those hands when the A hits the turn. I doubt he has AK/AQ because those hands would likely raise the turn. He may have something like AT.

So given his most likely hands (KK/AT), I think your river check-raise stands a decent chance of success. Another line here would be to check-raise the turn because the A is likely to have hit quite a few of his possible hands.
Old 07-05-2005, 08:46 PM

Nice comments Nightwish. I want more time on your preflop comments. I do also three-bet 95%> of the hands where no other players has matched the current price to play (ie no limpers, no coldcallers).

However, your suggestion of checkraising the turn, I don't really think that is an option because of the very real possibility of being able to 3bet this turn, even against hands like KQ or KK.

lars
Old 07-05-2005, 09:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Nice comments Nightwish. I want more time on your preflop comments. I do also three-bet 95%> of the hands where no other players has matched the current price to play (ie no limpers, no coldcallers).

[/ QUOTE ]
Are you saying that you would 3-bet here preflop against 95 percent of unknown UTG+1 raisers who didn't get cold-called by anyone? This seems a bit too much to me.

[ QUOTE ]

However, your suggestion of checkraising the turn, I don't really think that is an option because of the very real possibility of being able to 3bet this turn, even against hands like KQ or KK.

[/ QUOTE ]
Good point, it may be better to bet the turn to get AK/AQ to raise you. However, I highly doubt any KK would raise your turn bet. What's the point? Sure, he gets to charge a flush draw, but he risks the chance of a vomit-inducing 3-bet and may even get a J or some other beaten hand to fold. KQ is a little different in that it's a semi-bluff, but I don't think raising with KQ would be successful here often enough.

Anyway, I think the bottom line is that there is a whole range of post-flop lines here, and I don't see any one of them being clearly superior to the others.
Old 07-05-2005, 09:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
it may be better to bet the turn to get AK/AQ to raise you. However, I highly doubt any KK would raise your turn bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

AK and AQ are far more likely here than KK. Leading the turn and going for a river checkraise is a great line imo. Coldcalling in the sb to see the flop against an unknown opp raising utg+1 however, im not so sure about.

-Brad
Old 07-05-2005, 09:16 PM

I think that on balance this hand should be raised pre-flop, exactly for those occassions like this where you can get extra bets in on subsequent streets. However, your coldcall is an ok alternative. Given your pre-flop limp I think your flop and turn plays seem solid.

I don't understand why you would not bet out on the river. You checkraised the turn, so someone would have to have some pretty good power to bet into you on the river. Did you miss a bet on the river?
Old 07-05-2005, 09:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You checkraised the turn

[/ QUOTE ]

No he didnt. He checkraised the flop and led the turn, there is a BIG difference, especially on this turn.

-Brad
Old 07-05-2005, 09:26 PM

I think this is a really good spot to c/r the river, I can only think of a couple of hands he might call with that he won't bet here.

I also like the CC over the 3 bet for a few reasons, mostly because I like knocking people out of pots rather than them knocking me out of pots.
Old 07-05-2005, 09:29 PM

an excellent play here, kk, qq, tt, ak, aks, aqs are all possible hands? i see average aggressive players betting all but tens.

the rickiebear
Old 07-05-2005, 09:50 PM

Notice that it's an eight-handed game. I realize that the hand is borderline playable and that the coldcall is a very debateable way to go about playing it, but in the current online midlimit climate, highlighted in for excample the games at this particular site, it feels like a too big hand to fold for one raise when I am already in for half a bet.

lars