Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2004, 09:19 PM

Default AQo maintenance

Looking through some hand histories, trying to find some leaks in my AQo play.

UTG+1 is very loose and passive, MP1 didn't stay at the table for long, but played a lot of hands.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="666666">3 folds</font>, SB calls, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (10 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, SB calls, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls.

Turn: (12.50 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero calls, SB calls, BB calls, UTG+1 calls.

River: (17.50 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero calls, SB folds, BB calls, UTG+1 folds.

Final Pot: 20.50 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 20.50 BB, between Hero, BB and MP1.</font>

Did I overplay here?
Old 07-06-2004, 12:36 AM

Default Re: AQo maintenance

I dont think you overplayed it.
Why not raise the turn?
Old 07-06-2004, 12:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why not raise the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

Now that would be overplaying.
Old 07-06-2004, 12:53 AM

You played the hand fine. When you have 4 callers going to a showdown top pair, 2nd top kicker isn't always going to hold up.
Old 07-06-2004, 12:56 AM

This is borderline, but you *might* consider raising the river after the 9 got paired. MP1 looks like he has flopped crappy 2 pair and is putting you on a flush draw. Of course, it's just as possible that he made 2 pair on the turn with his A9s.

I hate stop-and-go players. I take assiduous notes on them and consider it whenever I'm about to make a position raise.
Old 07-06-2004, 01:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is borderline, but you *might* consider raising the river after the 9 got paired. MP1 looks like he has flopped crappy 2 pair and is putting you on a flush draw.

[/ QUOTE ].

Of course, on the river Hero is now ahead of any flopped two-pair. However, given the very likely possibility of one or more overcallers on the river, and the further possibility that opponent's stop-and-go on the turn could be an oddly played set, I vote for simply calling the river.

And no, Hero did not overplay this hand. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 07-06-2004, 02:44 AM

I play it the same here. If there were less opponents to act behind me, I might try and pop the river once more to trap a counterfeited two pair. But in your case, the overcalls were needed.

Nice hand.

Haupt_234
Old 07-06-2004, 07:17 AM

I'm raising the turn. It looks like he has A9, but with those two 3 small bet cold callers in EP, I'd still raise. But I don't doubt that your line may be better.
Old 07-06-2004, 10:39 AM

This has bad news written all over it. You reraised the flop and got four callers. Then the nine turns and MP1 starts back up. Some logical hands for him: 99, A9, 97, 86.

I would consider folding the turn and it may be the correct play. Still I would call this down because sometimes MP1 has lost touch with reality or maybe I can improve.

I don't understand why anyone would want to raise the turn when we are probably behind and often drawing dead. I also can't imagine raising the river. You have one pair in a 5-way pot. Even if MP1 has been counterfeited by the river (but then why the stop-and-go?) it is still likely that someone else has a nine.