Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2005, 11:46 AM

Default Re: 6max - Difference NL200 and NL400?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Happy Birthday Ghaz [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks-- I am now officially older than dirt.

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent ... and how old is dirt ?
Old 10-18-2005, 12:56 PM

Thanks for answers.

I have the same impression about NL400 6max. More agressivness and not so many total maniacs and bad players as it is at NL200.

[ QUOTE ]
People are also more likely to take a card off on the flop in position with air just to take it away on the turn

[/ QUOTE ]

This one has been a pain for me. How do you handle this play? Reads I guess. Do you often shoat a barrel at the turn to? Normally I really dont like that, since pot gets bigger and bigger and soon I have to show my A high if he dont folds.

Some more questions to all that played at both levels..

Did your winrate go down when you moved to NL400?

Did you changed your play when you moved up?

Are you doing a lot of 'moves' or are you mostly trying to play solid poker and wait for the results to come?

// Pug
Old 10-18-2005, 12:58 PM

Thanks for the advice about the high stakes forum, Scrapperdog.

Often they dont like that people posts a NL400-hand so I guess a NL200 vs NL400 would be unapricated there. Anyway, thanks!

//Pug
Old 10-18-2005, 01:01 PM

Yeam Happy Birthday! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
I am now officially older than dirt.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm, for myself I'm older then old dirt. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]
Old 10-18-2005, 01:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for answers.

I have the same impression about NL400 6max. More agressivness and not so many total maniacs and bad players as it is at NL200.

[ QUOTE ]
People are also more likely to take a card off on the flop in position with air just to take it away on the turn

[/ QUOTE ]

This one has been a pain for me. How do you handle this play? Reads I guess. Do you often shoat a barrel at the turn to? Normally I really dont like that, since pot gets bigger and bigger and soon I have to show my A high if he dont folds.

[/ QUOTE ]
I do this based on feel so I don't know how usefully I can answer it. If a specific player is often calling me on the flop then betting the turn if I check to him, I will checkraise him with a wider range on the turn. If he lays down, I know he's probably got nothing (even in this game, people just don't seem to fold to turn checkraises as often as they ought to with any kind of legitimate hand/draw). I'll also mix in some two-barrel continuation bets and see what he does then. A lot of the time, those guys are paying enough attention to the other players that they'll notice I'm going to put them to decisions when they try that play on me and they'll often reserve it for the weaker players (despite the gloom and doom remarks I've made, there are definitely still fish at this level).

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Mine actually went up because I had a lot of hands at the 1/2 level before I really knew what I was doing. Then I hit a long downswing and that, coupled with a need to withdraw money for other reasons, has dropped me back to the 1/2. I play the 2/4 sometimes but its not my primary game right now (I'm pretty sure I can beat it; I just don't have enough of a cushion bankroll-wise to feel comfortable there).

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
At first, I played very tightly because that's what I tend to do in unfamiliar situations. I didn't have the copius notes and stats I had on the 1/2 regulars so I tried to play small pots where I could so I could see what sorts of hands these guys were playing (and also to avoid any big losses that might've made it psychologically difficult to continue in the game).

[ QUOTE ]
Are you doing a lot of 'moves' or are you mostly trying to play solid poker and wait for the results to come?

// Pug

[/ QUOTE ]
I play poker. Sometimes making a move is appropriate; sometimes it isn't. I think going into a game with the mindset of "I need to make some sophisticated moves here" is a good way to go broke.
Old 10-18-2005, 05:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for answers.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I do this based on feel so I don't know how usefully I can answer it. If a specific player is often calling me on the flop then betting the turn if I check to him, I will checkraise him with a wider range on the turn. If he lays down, I know he's probably got nothing (even in this game, people just don't seem to fold to turn checkraises as often as they ought to with any kind of legitimate hand/draw). I'll also mix in some two-barrel continuation bets and see what he does then. A lot of the time, those guys are paying enough attention to the other players that they'll notice I'm going to put them to decisions when they try that play on me and they'll often reserve it for the weaker players (despite the gloom and doom remarks I've made, there are definitely still fish at this level).

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Mine actually went up because I had a lot of hands at the 1/2 level before I really knew what I was doing. Then I hit a long downswing and that, coupled with a need to withdraw money for other reasons, has dropped me back to the 1/2. I play the 2/4 sometimes but its not my primary game right now (I'm pretty sure I can beat it; I just don't have enough of a cushion bankroll-wise to feel comfortable there).

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
At first, I played very tightly because that's what I tend to do in unfamiliar situations. I didn't have the copius notes and stats I had on the 1/2 regulars so I tried to play small pots where I could so I could see what sorts of hands these guys were playing (and also to avoid any big losses that might've made it psychologically difficult to continue in the game).

[ QUOTE ]

// Pug

[/ QUOTE ]
I play poker. Sometimes making a move is appropriate; sometimes it isn't. I think going into a game with the mindset of "I need to make some sophisticated moves here" is a good way to go broke.

[/ QUOTE ]

good post.