Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2005, 01:37 PM

Default Continuation bets, early

What ae people's thoughts on continuation bets on the flop in the early levels of a tournament? (pp 10s, 20s)

For example, you raise with AK preflop and get two callers. Then the flop comes rags. What are the factors that play into the decision since you don't know much about the opponents yet?

Do you put in a 1/2 pot bet here every time? Let it go and wait for another hand? Play strong only from late position?

Lately I've been playing these continuation bets very aggressively, but think I may be risking too much in the early levels. Curious what other players are doing.
Old 03-23-2005, 01:54 PM

Default Re: Continuation bets, early

Against one opponent, I almost always would. Three or more opponents and I usually won't risk it. Two opponents and it'll vary. If I have position and they check, I'll usually bet but I'd be less likely to in early position. Then it depends on how much you raised pf (if they both cold-called 5x BB raise, seems more likely one will have an alright pocket pair). Also, I'd usually bet if I at least picked up a draw. Early on, I don't like to put too much in with AK, AQ if I don't hit a good flop especially when it looks like someone else may have a hand they like at least as much.
Old 03-23-2005, 02:06 PM

Default Re: Continuation bets, early

vs 1 opponent, yes
vs 2+, no if out of position