Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2005, 12:08 AM

Default Re: What\'s With This DERB?

Why can't this guy simply be a statistical anomaly? Do you have any idea what his SD must be with a +30% vpip and 11%PFR? I'm sure he doesn't fold before the river too often either. A guy like this probably needs +150k hands just to start forming an idea whether he's got any edge or not.
Old 11-07-2005, 12:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why can't this guy simply be a statistical anomaly? Do you have any idea what his SD must be with a +30% vpip and 11%PFR? I'm sure he doesn't fold before the river too often either. A guy like this probably needs +150k hands just to start forming an idea whether he's got any edge or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lestat, I have a lot of respect for your opinion, but isn't it readily apparent this guy has an edge? He kills these games.
Old 11-07-2005, 12:21 AM

I think we should make a DERB thread where only people who have actually played against him are allowed to post.
Old 11-07-2005, 12:28 AM

I've probably played against DERB but I am not a PT nit so I can't analyze it. However, the answer seems obvious anyway. DERB is probably a winning player because he makes up for his mistakes with additional action he gets. However the fact that he seems to be the BIGGEST winner is probably due to variance as opposed to skill. Also, it is more likely that he stumbled upon a profitable strategy than that he conciously constructed some new and innovative approach to holdem. I agree with the people who say there is more than one way to win at limit holdem. I also agree that he makes plays that have no justification even as part of a metagame strategy. Therefore the obvious conclusion is that he is a small winner who has been lucky. He doesn't have to be the biggest winner ever or the luckiest player in history. There is middle ground.
Old 11-07-2005, 12:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Lestat, I have a lot of respect for your opinion, but isn't it readily apparent this guy has an edge? He kills these games.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I know next to nothing about DERB except from what I've read on here. My point is that you need to be careful about taking isolated samples and forming a definitive conclusion. Out of the thousands and thousands of online players there are bound to be one or two that defy statistical reason.

But I've never seen the guy play, so I don't know. One thing that's always served me well in poker is that if it looks, walks, and quacks like a duck, you're usually correct to assume it's a duck.
Old 11-07-2005, 12:46 AM

I admit I know nothing of this guy's play except from what I've read on here. But I like you're idea. That way, those of us who have never played with him would be spared all the BS you guys have been spewing about him for over 6 months now.

Whether he's world class, a loser, or just a cheater, he clearly has many on this forum confused silly.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I admit I know nothing of this guy's play except from what I've read on here. But I like you're idea. That way, those of us who have never played with him would be spared all the BS you guys have been spewing about him for over 6 months now.

Whether he's world class, a loser, or just a cheater, he clearly has many on this forum confused silly.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm on your side, by the way. Your post was spot-on.
Old 11-07-2005, 02:03 AM

What I find most amazing is that after all this time, there is no agreed upon explanation for his existence as a huge winner in the game.

Everyone keeps asking about # of hands played. Does anyone actually have a substantial number (150k+) on him??
Old 11-07-2005, 04:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never played with him, but a VIP of 30% doesn't sound too loose at all. I frankly think that those of you who are playing in soft Party games with VIP in the teens are giving up too much profit potential.
Old 11-07-2005, 05:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never played with him, but a VIP of 30% doesn't sound too loose at all. I frankly think that those of you who are playing in soft Party games with VIP in the teens are giving up too much profit potential.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is still a huge difference between 20vpip and 30vpip.