Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2005, 12:26 PM

Default Would you allow the ITM step up levels effect your play?

Everyone plays to win the whole tournament, but would you play a hand the same way if you were 1 spot away from winning $400k or $600k? Do you think you would allow the money step ups to enter your mind? Thinking about the $$ steps cannot be good, but do you think you'd be able to look past this?
Old 11-02-2005, 12:30 PM

Default Re: Would you allow the ITM step up levels effect your play?

Well, yeah, I would. A person like Phil Hellmuth says how much he just wants to win the tournament, and I don't think that the money really means a whole lot to him...but to average Joe Broke like me, a difference in even 1k is enough to make me a little more conservative...
Old 11-02-2005, 12:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, yeah, I would. A person like Phil Hellmuth says how much he just wants to win the tournament, and I don't think that the money really means a whole lot to him...but to average Joe Broke like me, a difference in even 1k is enough to make me a little more conservative...

[/ QUOTE ]

A pro like those people wouldn't care, but to the average person I don't see how it couldn't.
Old 11-02-2005, 12:47 PM

The early ITM levels are pretty flat so I don't think that would affect my play too much as it is worth taking chances as the only way you can really increase your take home pay is to break into the top 100. However, once you get to the top 100 they really start to escalate and it's hard to believe you wouldn't think about that in terms of gambeling situations.
Old 11-02-2005, 12:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The early ITM levels are pretty flat so I don't think that would affect my play too much as it is worth taking chances as the only way you can really increase your take home pay is to break into the top 100. However, once you get to the top 100 they really start to escalate and it's hard to believe you wouldn't think about that in terms of gambeling situations.

[/ QUOTE ]

Im always shocked when I watch last years move by John Murphy. He was i think 3rd in chips and Matt Dean did a raise PF and John Murphy moved all in w/ AK and got called and lost. I don't understand why he wouldn't cruise into the FT. I think he got 280K or something and i think he was a spot away from 380K
Old 11-02-2005, 01:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Im always shocked when I watch last years move by John Murphy. He was i think 3rd in chips and Matt Dean did a raise PF and John Murphy moved all in w/ AK and got called and lost. I don't understand why he wouldn't cruise into the FT. I think he got 280K or something and i think he was a spot away from 380K

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know much about tourneys, but is that such a terrible way to play AK?
Old 11-02-2005, 01:09 PM

I have a ton of respect for Murphy. It was a ballsy play for sure. Had he won at showdown, he would've been in prime position to win the main event, but first Dean had to make a pretty questionable call for it to even get that far. I love Murphy's reaction to the hand as well.

*sips bottled water* What can you do?
Old 11-02-2005, 01:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have a ton of respect for Murphy. It was a ballsy play for sure. Had he won at showdown, he would've been in prime position to win the main event, but first Dean had to make a pretty questionable call for it to even get that far. I love Murphy's reaction to the hand as well.

*sips bottled water* What can you do?

[/ QUOTE ]

He has more balls than me. When Dean called he must have been sick.> He had to think that there was no way Dean could call.