Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2005, 01:54 PM

Default Hand from a live game

I was on vacation for a week in the middle of nowhere, but the road back home took us through Reno so I stopped in and hunted down a poker room. It's a 3/6 live game with kind of a funny betting structure -- blinds are $1 and $2, but all the betting is normal after that (so a raise preflop makes it 5, bets on the flop are 3, turn 6, etc). Game's pretty loose in general.

I'm in the BB with 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. 4 people limp, SB folds and I check so it's 5 to the flop for $11.

Flop (5 players - $11): K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I've been playing tighter than most of these guys, showed down some good hands, and I know that at least 3 of the four players in this hand have noticed (one of them even made a comment earlier). So I go ahead and bet, figuring I'll take one shot and it's an easy fold to a raise. Three people do fold and one person calls (and it's the guy who commented earlier). He's been calling on most flops so far with anything, but folding later streets -- and he actually likes to make "big laydowns" (showing his cards, patting himself on the back, etc).

Turn (2 players - $16): T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I bet (standard? four-to-a-flush, out of position, etc), he calls.

River(2 players - $28): 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Now what? And do we hate the flop/turn bets?
Old 08-08-2005, 01:57 PM

Default Re: Hand from a live game

This is a ridiculously easy bet/fold. If he ever folds anything that splits here and even just 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] you are making tons of money out of his pocket.

Edit: I'm rethinking here based on his turn call. But I still think a river bet is right. I will post once I decide what I'd do.
Old 08-08-2005, 02:17 PM

I'd bet and fold to a raise. If he just calls turn your cards over and say "two pair" that'll get you action later.
Old 08-08-2005, 02:22 PM

hate the flop bet, turn bet is a must at this point, give up on the river.
Old 08-08-2005, 02:30 PM

I wouldn't bet into that big a field with that board. I'd call an EP bet, raise an LP bet, and fold if it's two to me on the flop.

Like the bet on the turn, and I would also bet on the river, folding to a raise. Give him a chance to make another big laydown.
Old 08-08-2005, 02:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've been playing tighter than most of these guys, showed down some good hands, and I know that at least 3 of the four players in this hand have noticed (one of them even made a comment earlier). So I go ahead and bet, figuring I'll take one shot and it's an easy fold to a raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a bad bet. The time to shed a 'tight' image is preflop.
Old 08-08-2005, 03:03 PM

I [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Reno. Actually I [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] the 1/2 blinds. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I'll up in Tahoe this weekend so I'll have a trip report from the Harvey's Poker Room (it is very nice actually).

Don't really like the flop bet here. The turn bet is a must given what has happened. You have an insta muck to a raise and there is a good chance that he will just toss his hand in right now. Check the river and hope he checks behind.

Brad
Old 08-08-2005, 03:17 PM

Well, I wasn't trying to 'shed' the image -- I was trying to use it. I'm not sure what you mean by your statement though. Are you saying that, if you think people have noticed that you're playing tightly, you should start raising more marginal hands preflop?
Old 08-08-2005, 03:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, I wasn't trying to 'shed' the image -- I was trying to use it. I'm not sure what you mean by your statement though. Are you saying that, if you think people have noticed that you're playing tightly, you should start raising more marginal hands preflop?

[/ QUOTE ]

When people notice you're tight you get no action.
Old 08-08-2005, 03:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Actually I [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] the 1/2 blinds.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, it was interesting. What adjustments do you make in this situation? My first reaction was to think that your implied odds are higher, so it's good to play hands that want to see a cheap flop but can flop big hands (like lower suited connectors and suited one-gap cards, maybe). But I noticed that your odds to draw on the flop were always pretty bad. So if it's, say, 7 to the flop you're getting less than 5:1 to call a flop bet instead of 7:1. Now something like middle pair + a backdoor flush draw doesn't look so good anymore. Hmm...