Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2005, 01:48 PM

Default Laydown TT overpair on flop to aggression.

Villain seemed to be fairly tight/aggressive. He's not raising too many pots but has been seen raising PP's from early position though (raised 55 and c/c'd to the river when overcards flopped). I felt it was worth taking a flop with my tens at least for set value due to the preflop aggression and multiway pot.

Game #1454387793: Hold'em NL ($0.15/$0.25) - 2005/11/29 - 20:33:31 (ET)
Table "Saga" Seat 5 is the button.
Seat 1: Adam19001 ($24.12 in chips)
Seat 2: Rikint ($12.77 in chips)
Seat 3: lara777 ($23.35 in chips)
Seat 4: andrewd sits out
Seat 5: Hero ($53.05 in chips)
Seat 6: Alic2908 ($10.31 in chips)
Seat 7: twolfe43 ($30.40 in chips)
Seat 8: pokerfool ($18.75 in chips)
Seat 9: catkins69 ($24.48 in chips)
Seat 10: Tizwozere sits out
Alic2908: posts small blind $0.15
twolfe43: posts big blind $0.25
----- HOLE CARDS -----
dealt to Hero [T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]]
pokerfool: folds
catkins69: calls $0.25
Adam19001: raises to $1
Rikint: folds
lara777: folds
Hero: calls $1
Alic2908: calls $0.85
twolfe43: calls $0.75
catkins69: calls $0.75
----- FLOP ----- [6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]]
Alic2908: checks
twolfe43: checks
catkins69: checks
Adam19001: bets $5
Hero: folds

I considered reraising and thought on it for a bit. The only hands I'm good against here though are 99, AK, AQ, though he could also have JJ, QQ, KK, QQ His slightly larger than potsized bet makes me think he wanted to discourage action though.

Could i have called here? Should I have reraised preflop since i was in position or was it better to call and play for set value? If I repop him preflop and he only calls, what is my flop line?
Old 11-30-2005, 03:02 PM

Default Re: Laydown TT overpair on flop to aggression.

Too bad you could not throw a bet in first to see what he did with it.
Old 11-30-2005, 03:10 PM

reraising with TT is a recipie for disaster against a TAG especially since you will only slow down JJ, maybe QQ, against KK or AA and you're going to get popped back at these limits

seems like an overpair, he's playing it hard OOP...

he might have the stones to make a CB in a 4 way pot, but I think he has the goods...
Old 11-30-2005, 03:12 PM

based on your earlier reads, you may have been fine 3 betting preflop. Though I'd like to know his exact pfr %.

As it played, you could either pop the flop to 15 or fold. I don't like calling b/c overcards are scary.
Old 11-30-2005, 03:19 PM

Pretty easy fold on the flop for me, unless you want to get creative and raise him up something like 15-18 if he's been the type to bet pot on the flop with just overcards.
Old 11-30-2005, 03:23 PM

I like a mincheckraise here. I know this forum is death on it, but its a cheap way to find out where you are at and he will freeze up if he has a higher pair i.e. you lose the minimum when behind and make basically the max if ahead. If called minraise is called on flop lead for 1/2 pot on the turn and the check the river (folding to a raise on turn or a bet on the river) If he is aggressive a check call route is reasonable. Folding is ugly b/c the board missed all of the overcards he raises and this leaves 5 hands you are behind 88 AA KK QQ JJ. Your hand is strong enough to at least see a turn with and his bet doesn't give you enough information to put him squarely on a hand that you beat. Alot of people will slightly overbet the pot here with overs to discourage action.
Old 11-30-2005, 03:30 PM

Since you've got the big stack you should be attacking the weak players. Unless you've got villain down as a weak player then this an easy fold. The only time you would pop it pre-flop is when villain is weak and you want to isolate.
Old 11-30-2005, 03:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
based on your earlier reads, you may have been fine 3 betting preflop. Though I'd like to know his exact pfr %.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just started using PT ( and I find it quite overwhelming). I only have 14 hands with Villain pfr is 21%.