Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2005, 01:10 AM

Default Re: Live $2/$5 Non-Standard Set Line

I like the flop check. Too bad he checked behind, but that's an acceptable risk I think. On the turn I only like your check if you very sure he's going to bet (i.e. when he moves for chips he's not faking.) I guess the allin is okay, but I don't think a decent villian is calling with AK, unless its AK [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Here I think I'd call the turn and move in on the river, as long as no diamond hits it'll look like a missed draw and get more action (maybe?). Overall, well played.

JKratzer
Old 10-22-2005, 02:25 AM

Default RESULTS

Villian goes into the tank, staring me down.

I stand statueque for about a minute, during which villian is agonizing. He starts muttering to himself, and I lean back in my chair, confident.

He looks at me and says "You've gotta be on a bluff."
I wink at him.

He calls, drawing dead, with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
Old 10-22-2005, 02:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What kind of a raise was the big one you pulled on him before? Was it an AI raise?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yup.

[ QUOTE ]
I prefer a standard raise here, but I do understand your reasoning, as a standard raise might look too strong.

[/ QUOTE ]
I considered a standard raise, but thought that I could get more value from the all-in. Villian can convince himself I'm on a semi-bluff or convince himself that he has outs on the turn... not on the river.
Old 10-22-2005, 02:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Nice fleshed-out thought process.

How would villain react to you leading into his made hand on the turn? I think there is a fair chance that you will get raised, and be able to get more in there.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that it is fairly likely that villian will put me on a weakish hand if I bet into him. And will likely raise... again I'm more concerned here about picking up the donk limpers. I'm not sure if I'm overvaluing having them in the pot... but I still think that it is VERY likely that they would come along for a bet, but not for a bet and a raise. Perhaps this thinking is flawed.

I thought that if only one comes along, he still might be able to put me on a move, and if two or more come along, then he'll likely be able to fold... but I make up the money from the donks, anyway.

Let me again stress how unusual it was for none of the limpers to get involved after the flop.
Old 10-22-2005, 02:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
On the turn I only like your check if you very sure he's going to bet

[/ QUOTE ]

I was probably 80% confident in this read. He would sit up real straight and look around the table a lot when he was ready to bet.

[ QUOTE ]
I guess the allin is okay, but I don't think a decent villian is calling with AK, unless its A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] .

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? You don't think this looks like a bluff? I doubt villian thought that I had that good a line on his play, and he also probably thinks that I view him as weak-tight. This might not have been well explained in OP.

[ QUOTE ]
Here I think I'd call the turn and move in on the river, as long as no diamond hits it'll look like a missed draw and get more action (maybe?).

[/ QUOTE ]
Hmm.. interesting. It's probably pretty close, but I think the turn raise is just about as convincing as the river bet, except that I don't have to worry about a scare card chasing him out, and lets him call if he has a draw.
Old 10-22-2005, 02:59 AM

first, i dont think this is "non-standard"... this is the most standard hand in the history of the 2+2 forums...
next, i dont think this looks a bluff... it looks like a hand that beats AK and AK has the easiest laydown here, however, i think a live 2/5 player will fold AK here almost never. like .03%.
Old 10-22-2005, 03:04 AM

Really? This is standard? I thought that everybody and their mother would say lead the flop, lead the turn if you didn't lead the flop.

[ QUOTE ]
it looks like a hand that beats AK and AK has the easiest laydown here

[/ QUOTE ]
Without the specific pre-flop and turn reads (which I was assuming opponent didn't know I had) what hands check this flop twice that beat AK? Especially from a player known to fast play big hands?
Old 10-22-2005, 03:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Really? This is standard? I thought that everybody and their mother would say lead the flop, lead the turn if you didn't lead the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]
leading either would be truly stupid... like folding KK UTG stupid... just ridiculous.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Without the specific pre-flop and turn reads (which I was assuming opponent didn't know I had) what hands check this flop twice that beat AK? Especially from a player known to fast play big hands?

[/ QUOTE ]all of them.
Old 10-22-2005, 03:37 AM

jim, i think this hand would have been better served with the ol' "role-reversal" style post.

i think if i am villain i can bet 200 here on the turn and safely dump it to a push someone that covers me, as it is an easily sniffed-out set, or Axs that turned Aces up.

if i have the AK and didn't continue on this flop, and I turn an A, I will be betting definitely, but folding to your turn move.

but as flawless stated, most live 2/5 players are not capable of folding this, unless they are the inherently super-tight.
Old 10-22-2005, 03:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
leading either would be truly stupid... like folding KK UTG stupid... just ridiculous.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]all of them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I find this rather surprising.

You take this line against an unknown?

Keep in mind there are 4 people to act before I do.