Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2005, 10:14 AM

Default Re: Poker Tells

the biggest ones that i notice and actually use to my advantage are peoples breathing, how they bet their chips, and where they look when they make or miss a hand.
Old 08-15-2005, 07:58 PM

My favorite tell to look for is the way opponents on my imediate left handle their chips and cards. Some players will show you what they intend to do when the action gets to them.

-If they plan to fold they hold their cards off of the felt, preparing to muck them in turn.

-If they intend to bet, or to call a bet they have the proper amount of chips waiting in hand or stacked in front of them.

-If they're intent is to raise they will have the proper number of chips in hand or in front of their stack to raise.

I've found these to be most reliable when my opponents to my left are elderly, or simply generally unaware of what is going on most of the time.
Old 08-15-2005, 09:02 PM

in many less formal games, people will say different things as they bet. whether they don't talk, only say the amount (do they say 20 or 20 dollars) or do they say raise. this doesn't always work, but its worth noting. Also listen to peoples voices. Its amazing how their voice will change after flopping a monster.
Old 08-15-2005, 09:52 PM

Not to go too off subject, but out of curiosity, what are some of the online tells that you guys have noticed?
Old 08-15-2005, 11:30 PM

online the only thing i really trust is watching peoples betting patterns in certain positions.
Old 08-15-2005, 11:39 PM

I tried to write this 5 different ways. Someone with more experience and better poker lingo might explain it better.

I can only explain it with an example sorry.

9 people at the table. I have been very conservative. Large stack is very aggressive.

4 people fold to me. I have AJs. I limp in with the intent of going all in on the river if only the big stack calls.
3 people fold after me. Large Stack who is BB, stops for about 10 seconds and raises it 10x the BB which is 2/3's his stack.

If I call I only have t2000 left. I think to myself if he had AA, KK, QQ, AK he wouldn't bet this much. This bet is made to drive me out of the pot. At best he has JJ-22, Ax, or just two paints.

I call Flop is A x x. Im first to act. I go all in. He has JJ I win.

Point is when I see people make those kind of bets usually they don't want you to call, but have some kind of hand.

That example sucked sorry.
Old 08-16-2005, 01:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Not to go too off subject, but out of curiosity, what are some of the online tells that you guys have noticed?

[/ QUOTE ]

One of the most reliable is when the opponent lets their clock run way down and then bets, as if trying to convince you they are unsure of their hand. Usually, this indicates a very good hand.

Conversely, if they let the clock run down and check, they often have a very weak hand and are trying to convince you not to bet. This most often happens after I have been aggressive most of the hand and my opponent has something like bottom pair that he wants to showdown for no cost. This has been a great indicator for me that hands like TP-medium kicker are ok to value bet.

These 2 have been very consistent for me.
Old 08-16-2005, 12:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One of the most reliable is when the opponent lets their clock run way down and then bets, as if trying to convince you they are unsure of their hand. Usually, this indicates a very good hand.

Conversely, if they let the clock run down and check, they often have a very weak hand and are trying to convince you not to bet. This most often happens after I have been aggressive most of the hand and my opponent has something like bottom pair that he wants to showdown for no cost. This has been a great indicator for me that hands like TP-medium kicker are ok to value bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have noticed these two as well. I don't know the limits you play but do you think these hold true for small NL games or even micros?

Also, what is your take on super quick betting/calling or using the buttons at the bottom from other players (ex. Call/Raise Any buttons before action gets to you.)
Old 08-16-2005, 01:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
combined with a full-release massage by Vegas whore

[/ QUOTE ]
I have to ask even though I don't think that I want to know the answer.
Old 08-16-2005, 03:07 PM

My experience is that auto-raises almost always indicate a very strong hand. I don't know why people do it. Can a person be that lazy? Do they not want action with their monsters?

For online NL games, another tell is people who stall post-flop in an unopened pot. It seems that these people almost always have nothing. I guess they are hoping to scare people into thinking they might be setting a trap, but really they're usually hoping for a free turn card.

The auto-raise is a rock-solid tell, though. It's not a bluff.

-w.a.