Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2005, 05:44 PM

Default AA- reraise to isolate an all in?

Playing the 1/2 NL at the Imperial Palace. Have built to around 175 in 30 minutes without anything spectacular really. One guy who had aorund 400 in front was open raising to $22 with any ace or any two face cards and getting called by the likes of KJoff. Beautiful.

I am UTG+1 and find Ah Ac. I raise to $8 which is my standard opener and hoped big stack would play back at me.(At a table like this would you open bigger knowing there is a high likelyhood of being called by far inferior hands?)

Two players call and an older guy who has been calling all these raises(see above) goes all in for a total of $25. Action is back to me. Do you call the all in knowing that at least one of the original callers will callalong with you or do you reraise here and be happy with what is in pot? Maybe a silly question but I don't play much NL ring games.
Old 07-28-2005, 05:49 PM

Default Re: AA- reraise to isolate an all in?

1.) Preflop I don't think $8 is terrible, but at Foxwoods where the game sounds like it's typically the same - I open every hand worth raising for $10 UTG. You'll get calls from garbage like KJ and QJ regardless of if you raise to $8 or to $20 - it's pretty amazing. "Paint is pretty" I guess.

Anyways, I think I might not push, but reraise the all in to $75 to just look absolutely ridiculous, and see how my opponents play from there.
Old 07-28-2005, 05:50 PM

I forgot some info. The two callers, first guy just sat down and has his full $100(young nervous type), second guys has $300 approx infront and seems to be table coach type.I am looking to get involved in a pot with the big stack with premium cards. Is this a flaw in my logic?
Old 07-28-2005, 05:52 PM

I'm probably way too overprotective of AA - so I typically like to get as much money in as possibe whenever I can.
Old 07-28-2005, 07:25 PM

Theres roughly 1/4th of your stack in the pot before it gets back to you, Im usually happy taking all this money HU w/o having to think. If you are too, push. Just calling here is a mistake as you do not want two other people in the hand with you OOP.
Old 07-28-2005, 07:32 PM

Make it 60 and hope that one of em calls.
Old 07-28-2005, 08:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is the right idea. in my experience if the first one to act behind u calls the other comes along too. I personally hate playing this 3-way OOP into a dead pot where u may get no action from either of them if u hit.
Old 07-28-2005, 08:36 PM

Since the big stack is open raising often with a lot of marginal hands and you are in early position I would consider limping in hopes that the big stack raises and you can reraise. I would seriously consider this if others at the table were consistently raising preflop as well (I don't have that info).
Old 07-28-2005, 09:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you call the all in knowing that at least one of the original callers will call along with you or do you reraise here and be happy with what is in pot? Maybe a silly question but I don't play much NL ring games.

[/ QUOTE ]

Think about it this way: what is the most profitable way to play the hand? You have a huge preflop pot equity, so the more money that goes into the pot preflop, the more long term money you make on this hand. The catch is the all in dude.

If you just call, you can be pretty sure that the other two will call, especially if you say something like "I have to call because of pot odds". You can then extract more money from them postflop because of the big pot.

On the other hand, you might be able to get the table coach to call you if you push because he will see it as an isolation play and with a reasonable hand (in his mind), he will call thinking he has caught you.

The other factor to consider is how good you are postflop. If you are new or not very confident, then pushing is your best bet because you are getting all of your money in the pot with the minimal amount of decisions. If you are comfortable in post flop play, then you are better off trying to trap the other two for all their chips.
Old 07-28-2005, 09:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i concur. with one caller hero can push any flop.