Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2005, 03:39 PM

Default Re: You might not like this preflop...what about postflop?

[ QUOTE ]
No way he had what he said he had.

[/ QUOTE ]

I went back and looked at the HH. He simply said, "AK," right before he folded. So now I'm thinking I misinterpreted that. He probably meant, "You have AK." If so, it's a bit strange that he'd think I'd limp with it UTG. OR...he lied in an attempt to get me to show. OR (and this was my initial reaction)...he probably hadn't seen me open limp anything to this point--he possibly thought I'd open limped 66 or 99, saw a monster under the bed, and mucked.
Old 12-08-2005, 03:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I raise preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not right in the Party 2/4 games. However limping is okay on most tables.
Old 12-08-2005, 03:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
FLOP: Youre getting 9-1 to call, I would estimate that you have 5 pure outs,

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't forget about the backdoor flush. I'd add another 1.5 to those outs.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is how I calculate my pure outs in this situation. The hero has 5 outs to two pair/trips but I only assign that draw as 4 pure outs since the hero is not drawing to the nuts so he can still be drawing dead sometimes to a set or he can make his hand on the turn but still get rivered. I give the backdoor flush 1 pure out(I know small stakes gives this draw 1.5 pure outs, but I see it as 1 pure out which I dont think is much of a difference. So 4 pure outs + 1 pure out = 5 pure outs. So I already took into account the backdoor flush draw.
Old 12-08-2005, 04:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
FLOP: Youre getting 9-1 to call, I would estimate that you have 5 pure outs,

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't forget about the backdoor flush. I'd add another 1.5 to those outs.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is how I calculate my pure outs in this situation. The hero has 5 outs to two pair/trips but I only assign that draw as 4 pure outs since the hero is not drawing to the nuts so he can still be drawing dead sometimes to a set or he can make his hand on the turn but still get rivered. I give the backdoor flush 1 pure out(I know small stakes gives this draw 1.5 pure outs, but I see it as 1 pure out which I dont think is much of a difference. So 4 pure outs + 1 pure out = 5 pure outs. So I already took into account the backdoor flush draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand your reasoning and I wouldn't give this any more than an additional 1.5 outs than you did, anyway. Regardless, we'd play it the same way.
Old 12-08-2005, 07:51 PM

oops
Old 12-08-2005, 08:01 PM

All of these hands are still possible on the turn with possibly a few more:

AA, KK, QQ, JJ, TT, 99, AK, AQ, AJ, AT, KQ, KJ

Of these, against the hands that are slowplaying against us, checking is clearly better. Checking also allows us to see a SD without the risk of being bluff c/r'ed off the best hand.

Against hands that we are ahead of, they all pretty much only have 2 or 3 outs against us.

Notice that there are no flush draws and pretty much no reasonable straight draws to be worried about on this board. Checking will often induce a bluff from a worse hand or induce calls from worse hands when we bet on the river.

Also, if a hand like AJ (which probably would've folded to a turn bet) spikes an Ace on the river, we get to collect 2 more bets.

The problem of course is that we can push off hands that are beating us like QQ-TT, which I drunkenly thought we were ahead of when I posted the idea last night. If they fold to a turn bet then betting is almost certainly better... if not I can see checking though since we aren't too worried about worse hands catching up in this small pot.
Old 12-08-2005, 08:23 PM

I raise this preflop unless I have sufficient reason not to, like if I'm running bad and being isolated often in combination. The hand plays out significantly differently if you raise preflop. Since you didn't, I play the same postflop. Nice hand.