Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2005, 05:27 AM

Default Sixes v. LAG

Villain is 40/18/1.4 over about 200 hands. No starting hand requirements to speak of. What's my line here? More broadly, how should I deal with someone who playing a lot of hands but not going crazy postflop? I never have a good sense of where I stand.

Thanks.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is BB with 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Villain raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Villain bets</font>, Button calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.75 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Villain bets</font>, Button folds, Hero calls.

River: (6.75 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, Villain checks.

Final Pot: 6.75 BB
Old 11-10-2005, 05:55 AM

Default Re: Sixes v. LAG

what kind of hand do you put him on after the flop? If you think your 66 are better than you need to be either betting out, or even check raising? Why would you give someone you can't get a read on a free card? Stop giving away cards
Old 11-10-2005, 08:13 AM

I'm checkraising this flop unless I think Villian will raise overcards if I lead.

When you call a preflop raise against a LAG with a smallish pocket pair then you must be prepared to attack a raggedy flop like this. If he plays back at you when the pot is still multiway then you can consider folding. If he plays back at you when it is HU then you should try to get to showdown.
Old 11-10-2005, 03:51 PM

Great, thanks.
Old 11-10-2005, 03:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm checkraising this flop unless I think Villian will raise overcards if I lead.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-10-2005, 04:31 PM

Does no one like a 3-bet preflop here against a guy who we think plays and raises too much preflop?
Old 11-10-2005, 04:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Does no one like a 3-bet preflop here against a guy who we think plays and raises too much preflop?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not with another player in the mix. If you 3-bet then you will have 9 SBs on this flop, which gives people more reasons to draw and draw properly. Basically, by 3-betting this preflop you almost guarantee that this hand is going to showdown, which is bad. You want to keep the pot small to increase your chances of taking this down before showdown or at least getting it HU with the LAG.

Also, there will be many flops that you would prefer to check-fold, which you can do cheaply if you just call preflop. If you 3-bet preflop then you are nearly always throwing a continuation bet on the flop even when the flop is sucky.