Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2004, 06:47 PM

Default artificial poker player

can anyone give me an advice if there is a common program that simulates a poker player and that keeps playin hands? I thought about letting a program play hands at low limit holdem for me while im at work.I just wanted to know if the poker sites are able to detect this and if such a program can beat an average low limit holdem table.

Any advice or link would be helpful
Old 05-27-2004, 10:03 PM

Default Re: artificial poker player

are you asking about bots? If so AFAIK they are against the rules at most sites, and are highly unethical to use even if they aren't
Old 05-27-2004, 10:07 PM

What's unethical about a bot?
Old 05-27-2004, 10:21 PM

It's unethical because you aren't the one playing. Also, it's againt the rules at all sites I know. They can detect by looking at what other programs are running during your poker connection. This is a bad idea.
Old 05-27-2004, 11:01 PM

It's against the rules, yes.

But your reason for unethically is way off. You still are the one playing you just did all your plays away from the table. You could build a database like PT to monitor what you do with every hand in every different situation and have the bot just do that. Then it would still be the same.
Old 05-27-2004, 11:15 PM

you aren't the one making the plays, it's a bot..one that, more than likely, has been programmed for "perfect play" (whatever that may be given the circumstances).

So, in your book, if you were playing chess for money online, and thought you were playing little Billy from down the street and later found out he was gone taking a nap but he had set up Deep Blue to play in his stead, that would be ok based on your ethical viewpoint?
Old 05-27-2004, 11:23 PM

If Billy from down the street set up the chess bot to play the same as he would (as i said the poker bot in my example would) i wouldn't care at all.

If Billy then give his bot to a lesser player and he used it against me i'd get pissed.
Old 05-27-2004, 11:28 PM

would you say downloading a mp3 file is unethical too? thats nonsense saying that anything on the internet is unethical because its a place of anarchy and it always depends an the point of view.
Old 05-28-2004, 12:06 AM

Many people within this forum rely upon internet poker to generate a sizable portion of their income. Both they and their opponents expect the games to occur fairly and on a level playing field. The use of a bot compromises the fairness of the game and threatens their livelyhood. Does it suprise you that many players respond poorly to bot questions?

Kenshin
Old 05-28-2004, 03:27 AM

Hey Gambler, you forgot, that it is impossible to set up a bot with exactly the same playstyle. You can't program a bot with emotions. The bot will never get tired, never get on tilt etc. eg it could play 24/7 with the same play style. If you can prove me, that you can do this for just 2 days in a row without break, I allow you officially to use a bot. You see, it's just unfair and thatfore unethical.

That's it, see you soon at the 15/30 party tables (humans only! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img])