Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2005, 05:44 PM

Default Re: 400-800 hand

[ QUOTE ]
I'm still searching for the players that folding anything other than a bluff to a river c/r.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. Rather unlikely he's folding a Q, unless he reads you as a very timid predictible player who'd never bluff (which may have been the case).

But mathematically, he'd have to have a hand that beats yours and fold it about 25% of the time for a checkraise to be profitable. Since it's very unlikely he's folding anything better than KJ, and unlikely that he has a K (KJ or KT), the only scenario left is that he has to have AQ or QJ or QT and is willing to fold those. 25% seems high for those scenarios. (Of course, there is the small chance he'd call w/ a worse hand (TT, 99) tho he likely would have 3-bet pre-flop w/ those).
Old 07-07-2005, 05:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm still searching for the players that folding anything other than a bluff to a river c/r.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. Rather unlikely he's folding a Q, unless he reads you as a very timid predictible player who'd never bluff (which may have been the case).

But mathematically, he'd have to have a hand that beats yours and fold it about 25% of the time for a checkraise to be profitable. Since it's very unlikely he's folding anything better than KJ, and unlikely that he has a K (KJ or KT), the only scenario left is that he has to have AQ or QJ or QT and is willing to fold those. 25% seems high for those scenarios. (Of course, there is the small chance he'd call w/ a worse hand (TT, 99) tho he likely would have 3-bet pre-flop w/ those).

[/ QUOTE ]

i give opponent a wider range of hands based on the description of what john was doing to OP.

-Barron
Old 07-07-2005, 07:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd shown him numerous times that if I check to him on the river, he'd almost always have to show me a better hand to take down the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Top notch players are probably able to sense when when their opponents are about to make adjustments and are able to adjust themselves almost simultaneously. I would check call this guy all night long with anything of showdown value. I do think the check-raise option is a pretty good mix it up play though. He's gonna be floating you all night long pushing you off your missed KJ or QT hands, JJ is a must show IMO.
Old 07-07-2005, 07:19 PM

The river is a check/call and that's that.

PokerPrince
Old 07-07-2005, 10:19 PM

Good luck, my man. I'll see you in la-la land soon.
Old 07-07-2005, 10:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Perhaps he was doing something like this to you:
http://www.twoplustwo.com/magazine/issue6/Bvt0506.html
[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not quite sure what John's line would've been if he hadn't had the benefit of my brand of wisdom from the low limit tables...

Barron Vangor Toth
www.BarronVangorToth.com
Old 07-07-2005, 11:51 PM

[/ QUOTE ]

i give opponent a wider range of hands based on the description of what john was doing to OP.

-Barron

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, but a checkraise isn't of much benefit against many of them. If he had JT or 66, he's probably not going to call. If he had better than Kj, he's not gooing to fold. Point is, there is a very small range of hands he could have (and he has to do the wrong thing with it for one more bet) that would make a checkraise correct.
Old 07-08-2005, 12:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

-Barron

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, but a checkraise isn't of much benefit against many of them. If he had JT or 66, he's probably not going to call. If he had better than Kj, he's not gooing to fold. Point is, there is a very small range of hands he could have (and he has to do the wrong thing with it for one more bet) that would make a checkraise correct.

[/ QUOTE ]

and it only has to be correct a small % of the time

-Barron