Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2004, 01:46 AM

Default Cross post about seeing all flops in a loose $1/$2 game

Hi All,
In my regular home game around 80-90% of players see every flop.
I have a reputation as a tight player and fold the majority of my starting cards if they don't fit Lee Jones' requirements.
It seems that at least 3 times a session (we play ~ 8 hours )I will fold J7 off pre-flop and the flop hits JJ7 or A3 off and the flop is 333.( or similar situations ) I find this really annoying.
Should I stay in for every flop regardless, since there is little pre-flop raising in my game, so it only costs $1?

I know this is the wrong style for higher limits, but I figure the advantage, in my game, is that you can't read a player who stays in for everything as well ( or at all ).
At the moment, if I'm in, people know I hold good hole cards.
What do you reckon? A good style or a way to the poorhouse?

Thanks
Old 06-02-2004, 02:34 AM

Default Re: Cross post about seeing all flops in a loose $1/$2 game

Tight is right. In the home games I've played in they might "know" I have a good hand, but they'll still chase and/or pay me off because they want to make sure. I show them a winning hand more often than not. There is no reason to loosen up your play unless your opponents are adjusting their play (i.e. not giving you action on your hands)...even then playing every hand would be a huge mistake.

Ray
Old 06-02-2004, 02:59 AM

seeing every flop is a recipe for disaster...but there are areas where you can loosen up based on your loose passive description of the game...i would add more suited connectors and maybe suited 1-gaps in position and all pairs...just remember to stop bluffing/semi bluffing and make sure to bet both your good hands for value and your good draws for value...
Old 06-02-2004, 03:24 AM

Hi Brinko,

Can't really see how tight you play, but don't start playing crap like J7off or A3off. May be you shouldn't count how many times you would flop a full house or alike, but how often you will miss it.

You write, that the game is very passive, so I recommend that you at least try to play your cards in an aggressive manner, since you obviously have higher starting hands selection. Make them pay to chase you! Raise them at every opportunity when you hold good cards or hit a nice flop!
Old 06-02-2004, 03:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
but there are areas where you can loosen up based on your loose passive description of the game...i would add more suited connectors and maybe suited 1-gaps in position and all pairs...just remember to stop bluffing/semi bluffing and make sure to bet both your good hands for value and your good draws for value...

[/ QUOTE ]

I second this notion. Remember in loose/passive games, you can actually play LOOSER pre-flop, but you need to tighten up post-flop. Abandon the bluffs. Bet your draws and your made hands hard.
Old 06-02-2004, 04:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
but there are areas where you can loosen up based on your loose passive description of the game...i would add more suited connectors and maybe suited 1-gaps in position and all pairs...just remember to stop bluffing/semi bluffing and make sure to bet both your good hands for value and your good draws for value...

[/ QUOTE ]

I second this notion. Remember in loose/passive games, you can actually play LOOSER pre-flop, but you need to tighten up post-flop. Abandon the bluffs. Bet your draws and your made hands hard.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this totally. When I get into a very loose game, I call a lot more silly hands, BUT you must know how to play post flop, when you can lay down hands cause you know your kicker is no good or your flush isn't high enough. If you continue with tight play, perhaps getting away with some bigger bluffs can also balance out you not seeing as many hands.
Old 06-02-2004, 07:04 AM

It's not how many hands you win that will make you a winner in poker - it's how many hands you DON'T lose.

Everybody gets the hands they can't lose with. However the sign of a good player is how many hands they can fold without losing money.
Old 06-02-2004, 08:42 AM

In such a game you should make adjustments to how you play certain hands.

Such as on the button, after a family of limpers, you should raise hands like T9s and better suited broadway connectors. When you hit your hand in these huge pots you'll make up for the times the reverse implied odds worked against you when holding big pairs and unsutied broadway hands.

You should also play any pocket pair from any position and when you do flop a set, jam it.

Welcome to the forum,
Joe Tall
Old 06-02-2004, 10:41 AM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

[ QUOTE ]
Should I stay in for every flop regardless, since there is little pre-flop raising in my game, so it only costs $1?

I know this is the wrong style for higher limits, but I figure the advantage,

[/ QUOTE ]

So if these same players are playing 10-20, you'd think twice about it? The limit doesnt matter.

[ QUOTE ]
but I figure the advantage, in my game, is that you can't read a player who stays in for everything as well ( or at all ).

[/ QUOTE ]

who says they're even reading you at all? So what if they know you have good cards when you come in, are you not getting any action? Doubt it.

I dont think it has anything to do with your opponents. I think, based on this...

[ QUOTE ]
It seems that at least 3 times a session (we play ~ 8 hours )I will fold J7 off pre-flop and the flop hits JJ7 or A3 off and the flop is 333.( or similar situations ) I find this really annoying.

[/ QUOTE ]

You dont want to miss out on any pots. Your thinking way too results oriented. Annoying? Get used to it or get used to rebuying.

This isnt a good style, it's a way to the poorhouse. $1 at a time. Quit looking for an excuse to play crap.

b
Old 06-02-2004, 12:37 PM

i've had quote a few times where i mucked 62o and the flop comes 622.
i've also had a few times where i raised KK and the flop comes something like A99.

obviously these situations do NOT mean that i should start raising 62o and i should just fold KK.

62o will USUALLY lose and KK will win it's fair share. that's why i ditch the 62o and i press the KK as hard as my opponents will let me. even though the KK might not hold up (and usually won't) and the 62o might have actually won the hand.

the others are correct...you can make adjustments to your game based on what hands do well in multi-way pots...etc.

i don't think that playing every hand here would be total suicide.
presumably, you play better than them post-flop so you should be able to break-even.
but just because you play better than them post-flop isn't a reason to consider playing as bad as them pre-flop.