Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2005, 05:04 PM

Default Re: NL 100 (6 max) - T9s

Ya, you're right. Villain doesn't push without a boat if hero leads river. I disagreed with his advice if taken in two parts. I didn't like the block bet, and I didn't like folding to a push. But I think I have to fold if I lead and he pushes.
Old 12-23-2005, 12:45 AM

Bdaws, you seem to be very confident that the villian was bluffing on this river....how come? If the player seemed to be better then a beginner, are you still calling on the river?

Also, baring in mind that this is a beginner, I might well pot the turn. Beginners find it near to impossible to fold their flush draws, so why not get your money in with the best of it.
Old 12-23-2005, 01:05 AM

Did you check the river to induce a bluff from a busted flush draw?
Old 12-23-2005, 01:34 AM

Hate the flop checkraise. Why don't you just tell him in chat that you have a flush? Leading to "protect your King" is much better. They won't believe you have a flush anyways more times than not, as if they flopped one they would certainly slowplay and c/r and do everything but just simply lead with it. And that's why they don't believe that you have one.
Old 12-23-2005, 01:48 AM

I would lead pot the flop and pot the turn for starters. Why check/raise flop here? Why bet so weak on turn?
Old 12-23-2005, 02:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Bdaws, you seem to be very confident that the villian was bluffing on this river....how come?

[/ QUOTE ]
His line seems very inconsistent with a set or two pair. I thought it was highly unlikely that he boated up on the river. A gross overbet like that was just trying to buy the pot. Think Moneymaker vs. Farha when he misses his flush.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, baring in mind that this is a beginner, I might well pot the turn. Beginners find it near to impossible to fold their flush draws, so why not get your money in with the best of it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, this has been mentioned above. At the time, I thought he either had a weak K or a flush draw. I thought this amount would allow the K to stick around, and it still gave the flush draw incorrect odds.
Old 12-23-2005, 02:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Did you check the river to induce a bluff from a busted flush draw?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, after he called the turn, I was fairly certain he had a flush draw. Checking to induce a bluff seemed like the right play at the time.
Old 12-23-2005, 02:36 AM

to dustbustr - cmon man. don't fold this preflop with the action leading up to you. this is a great suited connector situation.

to bdaws - the flop checkraise is debateable, and I prefer a lead here so you can threebet, but I don't think its terrible to cr. the turn HAS to be more expensive. he calls the flop, so make him pay huge on the turn. again, not terribly critical to the hand.

the real thing in the hand that surprised me was the river check. i was pretty shocked by that. why? at least a blocking bet, maybe a medium sized bet - you're BEGGING to get overbet here. and the call is tough, real tough, but go with your read i guess. shrug.
Old 12-23-2005, 02:44 AM

Well if that's your plan based upon your read then you're correct to call the river push.

His pf numbers plus the read you provided suggests he may also be weak-tight post flop (many small post flop bets), in which case I'd prefer to block the river and fold to the overbet.

I do agree most people would be more agressive with a flopped set but it's not unreasonable to see a weak-tight player play like this.
Old 12-23-2005, 02:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hate the flop checkraise. Why don't you just tell him in chat that you have a flush? Leading to "protect your King" is much better. They won't believe you have a flush anyways more times than not, as if they flopped one they would certainly slowplay and c/r and do everything but just simply lead with it. And that's why they don't believe that you have one.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think leading the flop is an option. But I didn't want to give higher flush draws a good price to draw. I would just hate to lead and get called in 3 places by someone with a K, and 2 other higher flush draws. I would rather check, let someone protect their made hand or semibluff their higher draw, then make a pot raise and force my opponents to commit alot of chips to continue.
I think your suggested line would probably work better against thinking, competent opponents. Although this checkraise would make it apparent to most players on this forum that I have a flush, there are plenty of players at NL 100 that will still hold onto K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and other hands drawing slim. I wanted to build the pot fast and as a result, I ignored deception.