Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2005, 03:38 PM

Default Stats revelation...

For a long time, I was stymied as to why my stats were so much tighter than everyone else's. I seemed to play the same hands as players with much higher VPIP and PFR... but I couldn't get above about 22/15 without feeling like I was really spewing.

I finally realized what must be causing this. I would always play 5 or 6 handed, never heads up, never 3 handed and very rarely 4 handed. My APH was like 5.7 or something really high.

I now suspect that many players with higher stats played a lot shorter tables than I did on average.

This month, I'm playing more heads up, 3-handed, etc. My APH is 5.09, and my VPIP and PFR are 25 and 19.

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-05-2005, 03:43 PM

Default Re: Stats revelation...

I always assumed that when people talked about preflop stats for 6m they were filtering for either 6 players or 5-6 players. I think my preflop standards are quite close to this board's average standards and filtered for 6 players I am 26/17. Maybe I'm just loose?

Edit: I'd also like to note that APH isnt the best way to do this, because VPIP and PFR do not scale linearly with players per hand.
Old 11-05-2005, 04:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd also like to note that APH isnt the best way to do this, because VPIP and PFR do not scale linearly with players per hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

True, but it can help explain it a little bit.

Let me try the filter thingy for this month:

6 players: 21/15
5 players: 25/20
4 players: 30/20
3 players: 35/29
2 players: 45/35
Old 11-05-2005, 04:44 PM

Ages ago, I once asked if people tended to filter for 5-6 players when posting stats; I didn't get many answers, except a few who said they didn't filter unless specifically asked to do so. But my guess is that the reason your stats appear tighter has nothing to do with whether others play at shorter tables.

Without knowing anything about your play, I'm going to hazard a guess that you have tighter numbers because of the way you play out of the blinds. And I'm making this guess solely from my own experience. I too often tried to figure out why my numbers suggested tighter play, though an analysis of particular hands never confirmed that. But then I realized that I do play significantly tighter (and weaker) from the blinds than most people.

Anyway, I suggest comparing your blind play to others.
Old 11-05-2005, 04:56 PM

as well as stealing standards...particularly from the cut-off.
Old 11-05-2005, 06:09 PM

I think the vast majority of people look off the general tab, and do not filter... I've been meaning to check my stats, your post is my impetus:

(all limits; 1/2 - 20/40 SH; ~125k hands on this ID)

General Tab 31.6 / 21.74
6 handed 24.94 / 15.78
5 handed 29.56 / 19.87
4 handed 37.55 / 25.91
3 handed 51.73 / 35.04
2 handed 59.98 / 37.17

Now that I look at these, I'm actually a bit suprised by my 6 handed stats heh...
Old 11-05-2005, 06:16 PM

You're right. This makes a huge difference. I suspect most people do not filter and have avg players ~5.
Old 11-05-2005, 06:34 PM

6-handed = 23/19
5-handed = 26/22
4-handed = 32/27
3-handed = 37/32

Total (2 through 6-handed) = 26/21

This is my previous database.
I started a new database on Nov 1...and I think my numbers and play have changed some since the back when I started this old one.
Still kind of interesting to look at though.

I've been requesting a 'filter for hands with between X and X players' in the general AND the preferences tab for the longest time.

If I look at 'summary' and arrange by VPIP then I'm probably just looking at the guys whom I've played the most heads-up against.

If I look at a specific opponent in the 'general' tab and I see a VP of 40 I'd like to not be left guessing if that's a "6-max 40" or if it's a guy who I played a lot of 3-handed with to inflate his numbers.
As it is....it's kind of a pain to go from one player to another and look at their stats AND determine their TRUE 6-max stats.

wish p-tracker would include that ability.
Should be easy enough for them to implement.
Old 11-05-2005, 09:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If I look at a specific opponent in the 'general' tab and I see a VP of 40 I'd like to not be left guessing if that's a "6-max 40" or if it's a guy who I played a lot of 3-handed with to inflate his numbers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I thought entity was one of the bigger LAG fishes on the x-skins. Turns out I sat 3handed with him one time for like 200 hands, so he was showing up as a 40/30 with an obscenely high AF - while he was really much tighter.

FWIW i'm a 24.3/18.5 from PT general tab.

Filtered for 6 players: 20.5/14.9

Surf
Old 11-05-2005, 11:52 PM

Hey SC,

I had the opposite revelation. I was surprised that I was hovering around 27/20-21, because I never felt I was that loose. Then I realized after a while that I play mostly 3 and 4 handed, at least early in sessions until the good table fills up.