Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2005, 02:49 PM

Default Re: Athiests; a question.

[ QUOTE ]
atheists do not believe in a soul or reincarnation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Buddhists are atheists, and major branches of Buddhism believe in reincarnation. Souls, likewise, can exist without God existing.

Atheists don't believe that God exists. Period.
Old 12-06-2005, 02:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is there a difference between the dead and those who are unborn?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

[ QUOTE ]
Both seem to equally not exist.

[/ QUOTE ]

Both exist.

Actually, someone could be reincarnated. Depending on how you define a "person", it is theoretically possible for the exact same combination of particles to form twice, and for them to have the exact same interactions with the world (same experiences). Someone need not die for this to happen, though. But, I'm pretty sure it's more likely that an entire copy of our universe exists (with lots of duplicate people) than it would be for a duplicate person to form in this universe.
Old 12-06-2005, 03:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Buddhists are atheists, and major branches of Buddhism believe in reincarnation. Souls, likewise, can exist without God existing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Kip, disagree. See the below item taken from http://atheism.about.com/b/a/208011.htm

Discussion: Atheists and Souls
A forum member writes: There is nothing in atheism that excludes a belief in souls and the like. An atheist can believe in vampires, werewolves, magic, ghosts and faeries all they want and still be an atheist so long as they do not believe in a god or gods. After all, many Buddists believe in reincarnation, which would by necessity require the existence of a soul, and are atheists also.

It's certainly true that atheism is compatible with belief in souls or an afterlife — atheism only excludes belief in gods. At the same time, though, belief in souls or an afterlife is more often associated with theism than not. If you are an atheist who believes in souls or an afterlife, what is the context for your beliefs and why do you hold them ?
Old 12-06-2005, 03:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The problem is you are assuming this personality as an item, rather than just a description of the functioning of a brain.

[/ QUOTE ]

I most liekly misrepresetned myself when i used thephrase personality. I seriously doubt that personality is genetically coded but is rather formed though experience.

Since basic brain patterns are genetically coded someone could be born with the same basic brain pattern that self awarness arsies from but have a completely different personality. This is more what i ment when i said reincarnation.
Old 12-06-2005, 03:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But, I'm pretty sure it's more likely that an entire copy of our universe exists (with lots of duplicate people) than it would be for a duplicate person to form in this universe

[/ QUOTE ] I agree, but I think quantum effects may put the kibosh on either idea, yet I'm not ruling anything out.
Old 12-06-2005, 03:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Since basic brain patterns are genetically coded someone could be born with the same basic brain pattern that self awarness arsies from but have a completely different personality. This is more what i ment when i said reincarnation.

[/ QUOTE ]

What is the probability that every single molecule in the newborn's brain would be exactly the same as the deceased?

If even one is different, I suspect they would not be identical.
Old 12-06-2005, 03:17 PM

<font color="blue"> I seriously doubt that personality is genetically coded but is rather formed though experience. </font>

Uh, personality is very much genetically coded.
Old 12-06-2005, 03:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you are an atheist who believes in souls or an afterlife, what is the context for your beliefs and why do you hold them ?

[/ QUOTE ] Seems an obvious question. I don't see what it has to do with the statement "Atheists can believe in souls". If I run into one that does, the 'why' question may arise. Unless he blames it on "well, god ... " then he is going to be my living specimen of an atheist that believes in souls. Where is the conflict?
Old 12-06-2005, 03:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Kip, disagree. See the below item taken from http://atheism.about.com/b/a/208011.htm

Discussion: Atheists and Souls
A forum member writes: There is nothing in atheism that excludes a belief in souls and the like. An atheist can believe in vampires, werewolves, magic, ghosts and faeries all they want and still be an atheist so long as they do not believe in a god or gods. After all, many Buddists believe in reincarnation, which would by necessity require the existence of a soul, and are atheists also.

It's certainly true that atheism is compatible with belief in souls or an afterlife — atheism only excludes belief in gods. At the same time, though, belief in souls or an afterlife is more often associated with theism than not. If you are an atheist who believes in souls or an afterlife, what is the context for your beliefs and why do you hold them ?

[/ QUOTE ]

I fail to see how your quoted text does anything but confirm what I previously stated.

The question you bolded, could be rephrased: "why are some atheists irrational"? That doesn't mean they aren't atheists... it just means that believing in souls and reincarnation is irrational.
Old 12-06-2005, 03:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I seriously doubt that personality is genetically coded but is rather formed though experience. Since basic brain patterns are genetically coded someone could be born with the same basic brain pattern that self awarness arsies from but have a completely different personality.

[/ QUOTE ]

Neurscience points to a mix of both. A lot of our brain is unformed at birth and experience influences how it develops, especially the pre-frontal cortex. It doesn't fully develop for 20 years or so (has a lot to do with what we call 'immaturity'). A lot of our personality traits are innate so experience only tweaks it a bit ( twin studies, etc). Neuroscience is the most exciting field in science. Huge area with lots of room for meaningful discoveries that matter to us directly as humans.