Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2005, 11:12 PM

Default Re: Big draw OOP against a possible steal

[ QUOTE ]
your estimation that you will get EXACTLY 1 caller 60% of the time on a bet is just absurd.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was an example, not my estimation.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Does middle pair call your bet, but not bet it?
Does top pair only call this bet and not raise?
Does bottom pair call your bet, but not someone elses?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm quoting these questions not to short-change your POV, but because - correct me if I'm wrong - it is the main crux of your argument.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not the crux of my argument.

The crux of my argument was:

A bet here is a poor semibluff.
There are better ways to get value from this flop than betting out.

I've said all I can say and there are better poker players than me, who put forward both sides of the argument in the above Qtip link.

Enjoy.
Old 11-22-2005, 11:41 PM

There is a post by The Daver in my thread in SS which sums up nicely why I was for a bet, without doing the math or EV calcs-side of it. Not that the math isn't important, but he makes some good points.
Old 11-22-2005, 11:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is seems like every person advocating a bet is trying to have their cake and eat it too.

Is this a semi- bluff or a value bet?

Make up your mind.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? The reason I bet this flop is because every outcome of it is at least neutral EV except when the player to my left raises.

If I take down the pot, great.
If I get 1 caller, I set myself up to take down the pot on the turn. He could be just taking one off on the flop, have a draw, or have a made hand. A read would determine my turn play, but it is probably a bet. Great.
If I get 2 callers, I consider this about neutral EV.
If I get 3 callers, it was a good value bet. Great.

You may be right in that a bet here is not correct, but miles makes a great point that your thinking of "If everybody calls, we just lost value because we could have gotten more with a C/R" requires not only that someone bets the flop, but that the player on your left bets the flop. I don't see that happening. If anyone bets the flop, it's likely to be the last to act, which is exactly what you don't want. A lot of junk will call here for 1 but not 2 bets.
Old 11-22-2005, 11:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There is a post by The Daver in my thread in SS which sums up nicely why I was for a bet, without doing the math or EV calcs-side of it. Not that the math isn't important, but he makes some good points.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought Dave's reply to your thread in ss was one of the better replies i have read in awhile.
Old 11-23-2005, 12:10 AM

Shillx's post nailed it... http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...Number=2881730

I think this one is close depending on how aggressive the players are and what range of hands they would call with.
Old 11-23-2005, 01:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that the one about betting is fun?
Old 11-23-2005, 01:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

His response is great, but make sure you read Entity's posts in that Qtip thread. I think I'm going to be checking these more often, which surprises me. This thread transformed from a realatively simple one about a turn donk vs. c/r vs. c/c into a classic. Nh, all who've posted here.
Old 11-23-2005, 01:32 AM

Yeah, I think Entity's and Shillx's posts about flop coordination are important to this topic.
Old 11-23-2005, 01:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Is seems like every person advocating a bet is trying to have their cake and eat it too.

Is this a semi- bluff or a value bet?

Make up your mind.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? The reason I bet this flop is because every outcome of it is at least neutral EV except when the player to my left raises.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't get me wrong. For the last time, I'm not saying never bet a flush draw OOP.
In this situation, on this flop, I'm never betting.

[ QUOTE ]

If I take down the pot, great.

[/ QUOTE ]

Super. IMO you pulled off a miracle semibluff into 4 opponents. If every on of these guys folds, I'd start donking more flops like this with any two cards at all.

[ QUOTE ]

If I get 1 caller, I set myself up to take down the pot on the turn. He could be just taking one off on the flop, have a draw, or have a made hand. A read would determine my turn play, but it is probably a bet. Great.

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO you are just as likely to have 1 raiser, as 1 caller.
With one caller, your flop bet was negative EV.
As for the turn, you are now making another neutral to negative EV bet to 'try' to take down this pot. I know people make loose flop calls, but what do you expect villian to call the flop with?

[ QUOTE ]

If I get 2 callers, I consider this about neutral EV.

[/ QUOTE ]
OK.

[ QUOTE ]

If I get 3 callers, it was a good value bet. Great.

[/ QUOTE ]
But could you have got more value?

[ QUOTE ]

You may be right in that a bet here is not correct, but miles makes a great point that your thinking of "If everybody calls, we just lost value because we could have gotten more with a C/R" requires not only that someone bets the flop, but that the player on your left bets the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Two things.
1. When OOP, there is no other place from which a bet can come, other than on your left.
2. I don't care where the freakin' bet comes from, as long as it has one or more callers before it gets back to me.

None of these questions/answers require any response, I'm just presenting my side of the coin and I appreciate the dialogue.

All I wanted to say with any of my posts is:

In this particular situation, on this particular flop, with this many villians, completely OOP, with a less than nut flush, with no overcards to the flop, in an unraised pot - I don't bet out.
Old 11-23-2005, 05:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i said if i were to act first in a 5-way field

[/ QUOTE ]

At what point do you think it is not profitable to lead this flop? Would you lead in a 4-way field with a 4 SB pot?