Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2004, 03:03 AM

Default JJ - Bad check at the river??

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls, UTG calls, UTG+2 calls.

Flop: (8.50 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, UTG+2 calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, UTG+2 calls.

Turn: (8.25 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, UTG+2 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, UTG+2 calls.

River: (12.25 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, UTG+2 checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 12.25 BB

Well I think until the river there is not much room for fancy ideas, just too many opponents and too strange board.
But what about the river?? The ace comes, so that I now lose to anyone holding that ace, or one of these bd-straight drawers holding a 5...
But normally the straight would bet, as the players at these limit are rather straightforward bad. But I have experienced that someone with the Ace would rather check-call, because he is afraid of anything, because of preflop raise + flop reraise. The question now is should I bet the river to get a weak ace to fold, even if this never happens + maybe collect some bets from someone holding 93o if my jacks are good? Or is the board too scary?
Old 08-10-2004, 03:10 AM

Default Re: JJ - Bad check at the river??

At these limits we get some people check/calling all the way to the river with any ace and chasing any kind of draw. I wouldn't be surprised to see someone end up with a five-high straight here.

However, nobody showed any strength on the river. I think it is better to bet... all signs point to you having the best hand.
Old 08-10-2004, 03:12 AM

I think an A will be more likely to bet out here than check, so betting sounds good. Of course, if one of the others likes to checkraise instead of betting an improved hand, then the check is fine.
Old 08-10-2004, 03:22 AM

Meh ... checking seems weak. So I guess I grit my teeth and bet into the scare card. As far as river checks go however, I certainly don't hate this one.
Old 08-10-2004, 04:15 AM

OK so I will start betting the river here. But what if I get raised?? The pot is very big, but if raised I think there is nearly no chance of having the best hand. Should I still call if raised?
Old 08-10-2004, 04:44 AM

I think this is an pl river-check.

Also, people with Ace might not have bet before you fearing that someone will have a straight and raise them.
Old 08-10-2004, 08:20 AM

I think value betting the river here is worth it when they check to you.

-Sent