Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2005, 09:37 PM

Default The Art of tilting ........................

I am an experienced player who plays online regularly. I have a real hard time controlling myself after I go on tilt. After I get aces or kings cracked I can't mentally can't play as well as my full potential allows me. I make bad calls and bad reads.... but yet continue to play. Everbody has bad beats and everybody goes on tilt at some time while playing. My purpose of this post is to discover new ways of controlling tilt. What are your suggestions...... and what do the pros do after they go on tilt? Thanks
-cory
Old 04-03-2005, 10:17 PM

Default Re: The Art of tilting ........................

Ha. I love this post title. In fact it gives me an idea to try and tilt as hard as possible. Sort of like a you can only beat it until you've endured the absolute worst of it kind of thing.
Old 04-03-2005, 10:23 PM

Here I was thinking you were going to give a new way to fake a tilt, then clean up whilst the table thinks you're freaking.
Old 04-04-2005, 12:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Here I was thinking you were going to give a new way to fake a tilt, then clean up whilst the table thinks you're freaking.

[/ QUOTE ]

A few weeks back I had QQ beaten on a very non-scary board. Next hand I'm UTG with KK. I start ranting how that bad beat put me on tilt and I'm capping every street if I get the chance just to blow off steam. KAx on the flop and we were on our way. The board wound up pairing on the end and I had 5 other "cap-callers" to give me one of the largest pots I've ever won in terms of BBs. The hand was a riot.

Onaflag..........
Old 04-04-2005, 11:54 AM

This seems like a no brainer....If your online, Sign off and come back when you have a clear head. You only stand to lose more if you stay on. Standard rule I have heard in the past is Don't play if you are: Mad, On Tilt, Having a BAD day (Fighting with family or friends), or sick!

I was "On Tilt" at a live 1/2 limit game in a card room when My Aces got busted. 3 hands later I got aces again and after the flop came with blanks I announced I had aces again and even turned them up for all to see what they had to beat. Would you believe I got callers on the turn and 1 guy on the river called just to be nice for beating my aces the time before.
Probably lost a couple of bets on the river, but what the heck, got me out of my tilt mood!
Old 04-04-2005, 12:56 PM

Well since no one is seriously answering your question, I'll take a stab at it. It looks like you need to work on the psychological part of your game. Two books that helped me get this under control were "psychology of poker" and "zen and the art of poker". The second helps more in keeping your cool and staving off tilt. The first one explains the reasons you and others play the way you do and how to fix/exploit it.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-04-2005, 06:50 PM

thanx for the reply I appreciate the time. get back with you on the books soon thanks
Old 04-04-2005, 08:25 PM

You have to realise that just getting dealt a monster doesn't entitle you to win with it.
Old 04-04-2005, 08:50 PM

man i wish i could play in that card room. where im from your hand is dead as soon as you show during the hand to any participants still holding chips.