Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em

Closed Thread

Old 11-27-2005, 10:37 PM

Default Bankroll Management??? 30 buyins?? What are these things?? Gamble!!

Before I get into my question I would first like to prefice.

I have been a member of 2p2 for a little while now and I rarely post, but I read it daily. I started out playing limit poker and ran up a nice roll for 10/20. I have now ventured into nl poker and sng's. I'm young and love gambling and play 10.20 nl without a proper bankroll. I ran down my bankroll to 1k today, played 2 500 heads up sng and went on a ridicilous run with 500 heads up and regular sng to built up my roll back to 8k.

To my question...

I would like to structure my play. I want to reduce my volatility. I don't want poker to affect me emotionally and it obviously does with the swings I put my self through.

I am asking for advice on:

limiting play
loss limits
etc.

I am posting this in the NL forum because I believe that this forum has the best posters and I would respect their responses.
It also seems that when I play in games in my bankroll I get bored and don't play well. However, when my bankroll is on the line im playing A+ poker.

Save me and my bankroll.

Zapper
Old 11-27-2005, 10:42 PM

Default Re: Bankroll Management??? 30 buyins?? What are these things?? Gamble!!

[ QUOTE ]
Save me and my bankroll.

[/ QUOTE ]

move way down in stakes. sorry, but there's no other way.
Old 11-27-2005, 10:51 PM

You're a young gambler, and that's not good unless you have the bankroll to support yourself. You say you like to play for your roll. It's not worth it. One bad day could wipe out several days of good poker. Gambling is exciting, but not smart if you want to be a consistent winner. I like to keep my roll at 750x BB. Keep building until you hit the limit you enjoy playing most. If you're play is too emotional, stay away from NL cash games. You'll end up losing too much when you're running bad.
Old 11-27-2005, 10:54 PM

Default Re: Bankroll Management??? 30 buyins?? What are these things?? Gamble!

Buy in to a 5k buy-in game like 25/50 NL. Play one table at a time to give it your full concentration. Try and kill it for three or four buy-ins.

If you get that 5 up to 10 then move up to 50/100 NL and try to beat that for a few buy-ins.

Then with a 25K-ish bankroll. Drop down and start playing 10/20 NL multitable and keep your fingers crossed for a bit.

Build a PROPER bankroll from that and then you can play big, gamble, and not go broke.

Obviously the above is not a REAL secure way to do things, but it could work.
Old 11-27-2005, 11:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't want poker to affect me emotionally and it obviously does with the swings I put my self through.

It also seems that when I play in games in my bankroll I get bored and don't play well. However, when my bankroll is on the line im playing A+ poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

These two statements are contradictory. You don't want to have emotions regarding your poker play, but you get bored when you reach that state.

The simple answer is that you will have to learn how to play within your bankroll, or you will go broke. I'm sure you think you play your best when you have your roll on the line, but I'm sure you got plenty of luck during that 7K run as well. With an 8K roll, you're well bankrolled for 1/2 NL and could easily play 2/4. That doesn't sound like what you want - it sounds like you want the joy of victory without the agony of defeat. No one here is going to give you a way to defeat the bad side of variance.

The other solution is to add some more to your roll and start playing 10/20 NL with $400 stacks, looking to double up - but that sounds even more boring.
Old 11-27-2005, 11:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this guy is asking for advice on how NOT to go broke, throw all his money away. you gave him some pretty awful advice.

Dude, remember if you get all your money in as a 70/30 favorite 4 times there is a strong likelihood you will be broke. Drop down and play a 4 or 6 hundred NL game, build the proper bankroll.
Old 11-27-2005, 11:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Buy in to a 5k buy-in game like 25/50 NL. Play one table at a time to give it your full concentration. Try and kill it for three or four buy-ins.

If you get that 5 up to 10 then move up to 50/100 NL and try to beat that for a few buy-ins.

Then with a 25K-ish bankroll. Drop down and start playing 10/20 NL multitable and keep your fingers crossed for a bit.

Build a PROPER bankroll from that and then you can play big, gamble, and not go broke.

[/ QUOTE ]

How on earth do you end up at only 25k after that run? holla.
Old 11-27-2005, 11:24 PM

rake
Old 11-27-2005, 11:48 PM

Besides bankroll, I was also thinking about initiating a set 2 hours a day for poker and to make that a stringid set time. It seems like when I'm losing I'll play for hours and hours just to get it back.

Any ideas on setting up time limits?
Old 11-27-2005, 11:50 PM

I'd bet on the ponies. They are a good ROI
Closed Thread