Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2005, 02:26 AM

Default Re: Viet Nam: Some help for a paper please

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Anti-war protestors spitting on Vets and calling them "baby killers" is simply untrue. Another popular culture myth.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have just earned the distinction of receiving a comment I've never before made on an open forum...

You have absolutely no f'kng idea what you're talking about! Zero. Zip. Nada. Zilch. Zed. Your pointy little head is firmly planted up your azz. The alledged institution of learning you're attending must be an absolute joke.

Don't bother asking me for proof. I saw it! I heard it! It was gawddammed up close and personal! And it was always from some stoner who should have been back home at his momma's tit. Gutless azzwipes and scumbags.

You want to get an education about 'Nam? Spend some time in an American Legion club. You'll hear hawks and doves. And you'll always hear facts. You'll hear the truth. Not some revisionist bullshiite by some azzhole Whirled Peas whacko.

[/rant]

[img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry... you're wrong. I'll take back the comment I made about "baby killers" but as far as spitting there isn't a single credible account of that happening. Also, the majority of the animosity that did occur was from pro-war supporters and not anti-war protestors. A large number of the anti-war protestors were themselves Vets. The belief that vets were spat on is a myth which has become so repeated that people actually thinks it happened. It didn't.
Old 12-08-2005, 02:49 AM

Another thing, how many forum rules did you just break?

[ QUOTE ]
Don't circumvent the profanity filter or use misspellings to try and make your point.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
1) Don't engage in outright name-calling, or in making disparaging remarks or implications about other posters. Try to debate the issue rather than attacking the poster. For instance it's fine to state that someone's idea is ridiculous and to argue why you think it is ridiculous. Please however don't call that poster an idiot. Doing so is not conducive to good further discussion.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-08-2005, 02:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
They don't realize that being anti-war IS supporting the troops.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of the eight of my friends (all marines) who have been on atleast one tour to Iraq or Afghanistan, none agree with this sentiment.
Old 12-08-2005, 02:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
but as far as spitting there isn't a single credible account of that happening.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no question as to the fact that returning vets were treated like garbage and called awful names, and that many were ashamed to wear their uni's in public.

But because you know of no definitive proof of any spitting(video? confessions?) then it cannot have possibly happened? Isn't there a name for that kind of logical fallacy?

Certainly the spitting-on-vets has been overplayed, especially from movies like First Blood, but I find it astonishing that you, not even alive at the time, can claim with utter certainty that no Vietnam Vet, despite thousands of first hand and witness claims, not once, ever, was spit on. Ever. Wow.
Old 12-08-2005, 03:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
They don't realize that being anti-war IS supporting the troops.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of the eight of my friends (all marines) who have been on atleast one tour to Iraq or Afghanistan, none agree with this sentiment.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's just silly. It really is. We have to back up the war no matter how immoral it is otherwise we're not supporting the troops?! No sir. The majority of those who are anti-war, including myself, very much support the war. I see the war as immoral, wrong, and created on lies. I do not want to risk the lives of men and women who fight for our freedom on this attrocious war. Explain to me how I'm not supporting the troops? If Bush started a war in Mexico to kill all first borns I should support him because of our troops? Our troops should not be the means to justify a war. God bless our troops and bring them back home please, they need to be with their familes and not fighting this unjustified war.
Old 12-08-2005, 03:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Distrust of the government. Again we have Nixon to blame for that, though Johnson and Kennedy helped.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope you didn't include this in your paper. What will a professor think of you if you write that distrust of the government just started thirty to forty years ago, much less that we can definitively blame one man for it?
Old 12-08-2005, 03:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Distrust of the government. Again we have Nixon to blame for that, though Johnson and Kennedy helped.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope you didn't include this in your paper. What will a professor think of you if you write that distrust of the government just started thirty to forty years ago, much less that we can definitively blame one man for it?

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, we can't give Nixon all the blame... but I doubt there is any other single man who contributed more to distrusting gov't.
Old 12-08-2005, 03:13 AM

Allow me to clarify. By anti-war I meant vocally, loudly lambasting our nation and our leaders decisions through editorials, rallies, protests, etc.

Who I would consider the smartest marine friend of mine in fact believes that going into Iraq was the wrong decision. However they have all stated that over in Iraq, morale is dampened or outright crushed everytime these demonstrations, particularly the vitriolic ones (most are), reach their news waves. One told me that "that stuff is killing our guys over their." It isn't their decision on when to come home or not. In fact, most of them want to be their, especially the marines.

I even personally disagree with the decision to enter Iraq. I feel as though Bush has blown the chance of a life time to push through a revolutionary conservative agenda (ownership society, retirement reform) and has instead driven popular opinion away from his administration and its ability to push through such acts.

But you won't find me on a pulpit sponsored by communist fronts blaring hate speech through a bullhorn. That's more along the lines of what I meant by "anti-war".
Old 12-08-2005, 03:15 AM

So Synur...when are you going to back up your ridiculous claim that Bush said that anyone who doesn't support the war doesn't support the troops?
Old 12-08-2005, 03:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Allow me to clarify. By anti-war I meant vocally, loudly lambasting our nation and our leaders decisions through editorials, rallies, protests, etc.

Who I would consider the smartest marine friend of mine in fact believes that going into Iraq was the wrong decision. However they have all stated that over in Iraq, morale is dampened or outright crushed everytime these demonstrations, particularly the vitriolic ones (most are), reach their news waves. One told me that "that stuff is killing our guys over their." It isn't their decision on when to come home or not. In fact, most of them want to be their, especially the marines.

I even personally disagree with the decision to enter Iraq. I feel as though Bush has blown the chance of a life time to push through a revolutionary conservative agenda (ownership society, retirement reform) and has instead driven popular opinion away from his administration and its ability to push through such acts.

But you won't find me on a pulpit sponsored by communist fronts blaring hate speech through a bullhorn. That's more along the lines of what I meant by "anti-war".

[/ QUOTE ]

Hate speech, no matter what the cause, is never the solution. You are right.