Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2005, 11:07 PM

Default How do you play a very early big stack?

I was in an SNG a while ago and the first hand I look down to find pocket aces in the sb. There is a ton of action until it gets to me where I push all in and am called by one person. I win and by the second hand I am chip leader with 4200 chips!

Now what I was wondering is if this advantage would make a normally tight player become aggressive in the early rounds or would you just sit back on your chip lead?

Any comments or ideas would be very helpful because I want to know if I made the right decision.
Old 11-27-2005, 11:34 PM

Default Re: How do you play a very early big stack?

maybe my question or topic wasn't appropriate but to further elaborate in case of confusion

should my early big stack be considered in playing ahnds and making plays I usually wouldn't make in order to put more pressure on my opponents?
Old 11-27-2005, 11:44 PM

I would play normal tight until 50/100+ blinds. At that point I would start to pressure the 2nd/3rd stacks with 2.5x-3x raises on their blinds.

It doesn't change my play too much except I am a lot pushier on the bubble.

Pokerscott
Old 11-27-2005, 11:50 PM

If you are comfortable playing in all gears, I would loosen up and start going for those pots no one wants. If you aren't comfortable playing anything other than your normal game, I wouldn't change a thing.
Old 11-28-2005, 12:17 AM

i usually think:

"i have FE for the bubble, and id like to keep it that way"

not saying this is necessarily good thinking, but its how i go about it. what i mean is that i am basically playing the same with 1000 chips or 4000 chips that early...tight/passive without a big hand. Whats key is that you have the option of folding your next 40 hands and still have an average(ish) stack, so you have no pressure to make a move from desperation.
Old 11-28-2005, 06:51 AM

Steal a few more pots at 25/50 and especially 50/100 because, if you're played back at, you still have loads of chips for 75/150 and even 100/200..