Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2005, 06:49 PM

Location: it\'s like a puzzle with pans. if you think about it.
Default Re: work evaluation having to rate co-wokers ?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Unless you are fairly high-up in the company with a real investment in your future there, looking to improve the company, I would personally recommend being as bland and neutral as possible in your reviews. Little upside with lots of potential downside.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never understood this attitude at a job you consider a career. Why not try to make things better if you're going to spend 40+ hours a week there?

Also, in all likelihood your bosses want to know if you are unhappy or if there are specific things that you would like them to do differently. I know I want to know. It's hard to replace people.

[/ QUOTE ]
if my boss were normal i might agree with the way you see things (except i still think evaluating co-workers is terrible).
but he's psycho, and trust me no matter what anyone says that they'd like to see changed or improved, it doesn't matter.
i think it is better to be bland and give generic answers. nothing good comes out of these things, at least not where i work. he has fired people for being honest in their reviews before, if he doesn't like what you say then you're not worth it.
when he interviews people to hire, he always says "the only right way to do things around here is my way" - that is there first impression. he makes it very clear, and it's true.
he also thinks everyone is disposable. if someone isn't happy, he would rather them leave. people leave this place all the time. looking at the staff photos, most people cycle out within 3 years because they can't stand him.
it's just a weird place. and this new evaluation sheet only makes it weirder. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 10-25-2005, 07:06 PM

get real man. if management is so smart why are they asking for peer reviews in the first place? think about it.
Old 10-25-2005, 07:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Unless you are fairly high-up in the company with a real investment in your future there, looking to improve the company, I would personally recommend being as bland and neutral as possible in your reviews. Little upside with lots of potential downside.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never understood this attitude at a job you consider a career. Why not try to make things better if you're going to spend 40+ hours a week there?

Also, in all likelihood your bosses want to know if you are unhappy or if there are specific things that you would like them to do differently. I know I want to know. It's hard to replace people.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well - first, you have to consider your company a palce you'd like to be for many years. I don't think is the case with most people.

I think that if you're committed to working at your firm, and rising the ranks, you have to do it in the best way that fits the firm's culture.

If, it's an open, trusting culture where you know senior management well, and truly believe they have your best interests at heart, I say, spout away! I would.

That's a pretty rare situation though. For the most part, office culture is about back-stabbing, blaming the other person, and not being accountable. In this world - playing it safe is smarter (again, my caveat - unless you are senior management and very invested in the firm's success, say what you want, otherwise... very little upside).
Old 10-25-2005, 07:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That is ridiculous. Not even a comments box would could in theory be useful, but just sticking a bunch of numbers in? I would literally wipe my ass with that form.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, there needs to be a comments section where you can explain your choices. Does this get turned in with the rest of your self-evaluation, or is it anonymous?
Old 10-25-2005, 07:53 PM

Location: it\'s like a puzzle with pans. if you think about it.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
That is ridiculous. Not even a comments box would could in theory be useful, but just sticking a bunch of numbers in? I would literally wipe my ass with that form.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, there needs to be a comments section where you can explain your choices. Does this get turned in with the rest of your self-evaluation, or is it anonymous?

[/ QUOTE ]
it's stapled to the 2 sheet self evaluation , with our name written on it.
Old 10-25-2005, 08:01 PM

I understand what you're saying and the logic behind it, but my experience has been very different.
Old 10-25-2005, 08:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Well - first, you have to consider your company a palce you'd like to be for many years. I don't think is the case with most people.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? Two years at 40 hours a week comes out to nearly 4000 hours of your life. That's a meaningful amount of time worth salvaging and I think most people plan on working at their current employer at least two years.

[ QUOTE ]

That's a pretty rare situation though. For the most part, office culture is about back-stabbing, blaming the other person, and not being accountable. In this world - playing it safe is smarter (again, my caveat - unless you are senior management and very invested in the firm's success, say what you want, otherwise... very little upside).

[/ QUOTE ]

I just don't get this. It's entirely possible that I have been exceedingly lucky in working at abnormally nurturing environments but I don't buy it. One thing I was taught very early on is to carefully manage your boss, i.e. make sure you both have the same understanding for what you are doing and what you want to do and all of that. I think what I'm reading here is that most people aren't even trying to do that.
Old 10-25-2005, 08:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
it's stapled to the 2 sheet self evaluation , with our name written on it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously, find another job. This is retarded.
Old 10-25-2005, 08:08 PM

Okay. That thing is an insult.
Old 10-25-2005, 08:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I understand what you're saying and the logic behind it, but my experience has been very different.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too. From the sounds of things, we must be the only ones. I suggest we keep both our jobs and our positive attitudes.