Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2005, 06:33 PM

Default Re: confused about KK hand

ok,
i understand the point of 3/4 betting the flop to find out where i'm at but aren't i mainly going to get called by better hands and even if i do get called by a jack he'll very likely play it the same way that villain played his A9 so i won't be able to get more value for it without risking throwing away chips to a passive A or getting raised on the river...
sorry if the questions seem simple to answer, just tryin to learn more
Old 09-03-2005, 06:44 PM

I was just offering an alternate line to your line, which seems like is very rough and not thought out well. You check the flop, fine. But why bet the turn? Are you trying to get value out of a jack? Are you trying to get an ace to fold? Are you trying to protect your hand?

Here's the deal, if I'm checking this flop I'm probably also checking the turn. If it checks through again I'd probably bet the pot and expect many people with a jack and worse to call because of my suspicious line. I'd also suspect an ace to probably make itself known on the turn, so I'm not completely worried about being up against one and yet I'm also fairly certain my bet, although unorthodox, has value. Im also pretty sure that no one with a worse hand will try to bluff raise me because people tend to not fck with pot bets.

That is another thing I might do, but it's kinda irrelevant. You just need to get into the habit of making plans and understand what your bets mean, and not just saying "Well my hand is pretty weak let me make a little weak bet" or whatever you were thinking this hand.

Also keep in mind that when you check the turn you don't have to be worried about worse hands catching up because you are going to most of the time be ahead with them drawing to 0-6 outs and its probably worth it to let your opponents fall in love with a worse hand at the expense of letting them draw.

-Jason
Old 09-03-2005, 06:45 PM

You raised big pre flop. You are supposed to have a big A. An ace hit the flop. Make a big flop bet (3/4 pot would be fine) and see if anyone wants to stay around under those conditions. If they do, you are behind and don't put more into the pot imo.

Pokerscott
Old 09-03-2005, 09:56 PM

Is it that hard to just check/fold after the ace flops??? Why isnt anybody suggesting this? Am I a weak-tight idiot?
Old 09-03-2005, 10:01 PM

With one caller I'd bet the 3/4 bet the flop. With two callers, I'd probably check it, and either check the turn too or 3/4 bet the turn, depending on my read of the players (i.e. would they really have checked an ace on the flop?). If you do bet, you have to bet more than you did. If you were against better players, they might raise you off that small bet with a worse hand than KK, and you'd have to fold.
Old 09-03-2005, 10:13 PM

Whether or not you're an idiot I don't know. But if I don't make a CB, then I check fold.
Old 09-04-2005, 01:06 AM

I suggested it. But there was no bet to fold to. Given that, I definitely lead out on the turn at least 3/4 of the pot. You have evidence that you may have the best hand and now there is a flush draw. You may even be able to push a weak ace off the flop. After all, if he didn't even probe bet for info on the flop, the weak ace is probably weak-tight anyway.