Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2005, 05:50 PM

Default Re: AA in live 2/5 NL game

With stacks this deep and you in position it is way too dangerous to just limp unless you are totally willing to give up your hand in the face of significant action.

What does villian have? Lots of possibilities, some of which beat you, some of which don't. We just don't know, because you let him in for free.

It is better to win a small pot than lose a big one.
Old 08-01-2005, 05:50 PM

I have no problem not raising in position with aces here, however, being on the button gives less credence to any reraise you make (looks like your isolating with position)and I like a re-minraise here. That being said I also don't mind you reraising the flop here, but definitely less b/c I can't see a solid player calling here with anything less than a set, maybe QQ/KK here.
Old 08-01-2005, 05:53 PM

I can see KK and QQ check-raising this...I like it...
Old 08-01-2005, 05:53 PM

Default RESULTS

Villian turns over JJ for the set. However I dodged a bullet when the turn was an A for the over-set that gave me the pot.

Thanks for the advice. In retrospect a smooth call of the C/R would have been the right play on the flop.

I didn't put him on JJ because it would seem that he would not have tried to limp with a hand that is so vulnerable to overcards on the flop. Even if he was trying to be cute, when I called the $68 I would think that he would re-raise me right there to get any Ace Face or smaller pair out of the way.

Now that we see where my mistake was, am I reasonable in my pre-flop read?

Thanks again,
Vince
Old 08-01-2005, 05:57 PM

Default Re: RESULTS

i think a re min raise is horrible. however, i think you misplayed it by pushing all in basically. anytime you re-open the action on the flop, you are pot committing yourself on one street.

i think if you cold call the check raise, you will get a lot more out of QQ or KK (whlie still losing to a set).

sucks that he had a set but against his range, not much you can do. i'd probably just have gone into call down mode after his check raise. also i'm surprised he check raised the set on a drawless board.
Old 08-01-2005, 06:00 PM

You say he's too loose preflop and very solid postflop. You played this horribly if those are your assumptions.

lets look at the first point. Too loose preflop w/ deep money. Put in a nice sized reraise and hope he overcalls. You have way too much reverse implied odds to flat call there.

2nd point, pretty solid postflop. You put in a ton of money in on a drawless board. The only possible hand I could see him having here is AJ, and if he's solid, no way he gets it all-in there w/ that much money. Also, wouldn't he limp-reraise w/ KK? So that leaves QQ, and he would be overplaying that as well, which solid players won't. Hence, he has to have a set there...
Old 08-01-2005, 06:05 PM

Good analysis.

I didn't think that there was any way that he would call the re-raise. I thought he had TPTK and I just wanted to take down the pot then and there. My raise basically put him all-in. After he moves all-in, I was afraid my AA was beat, but it was too late then. I had to call the last $300.
Old 08-01-2005, 06:12 PM

yeah - you have to call once he moves in. We've all misplayed AA many times - but you had the secret weapon - the suckout [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-01-2005, 07:32 PM

Geez, I didn't see the $68 raise. My very bad.